Problems, every day is problems!

Petri

In VW 2008 we seem to have an area for an unclosed (!)* polygon. Is this a Good Thing? No!

But - that's the way it goes today, tomorrow never knows. You can't get even if you really want.

EDIT

*) Just marvelling the never-ending deterioration of the English language - in Excel, you can "Unhide" rows or columns. As comes to polygons, to me the dicotomy seems to be "open" and "closed"; however, in geometric parlance a "polygon" is, I think, always closed.

Edited by Petri

What was wrong with having access to Layers and Classes from their respective pop-ups?

I have neither room nor need for the Navigation Palette (requiring an expert in hieroglyphs and double-clicks). If I want to do a simple operation, I don't want to get entangled with the complexities of Organization. (We hatess Organizations anyway...)

It wasn't broke. Why was it fixed?

EDIT

Ah-ha! There were hieroglyphs next to the above-mentioned pop-ups. Speaking the Sacred Words invoked the relevant dialogs. The user interface is regressing in leaps and bounds. Perhaps illiteracy in some countries is increasing?

Edited by Petri

If your list was longer than your screen, you did.

I had it happen quite a bit when I used it.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion and choice. Some people didn't like the old method, and prefer the new habit, and visa versa.

I've gotten used to the button and now prefer the button.

Typical VW user's approach to learning something new (as in the case of VW2008):

1 - Explore.

2 - Use common sense.

3 - RTFM.

4 - Phone a friend.

5 - Post message to tech board.

Petri's approach:

1 - Spend 10 seconds looking for "the way it was".

2 - Post to tech board lamenting change and suggesting others are illiterate (while using words like "unclosed").

Brilliant. We have entered the Petrisphere.

in VW 2008 we seem to have an area for an unclosed (!) polygon. Is this a Good Thing? No!

If you set your polygon or unclosed polyline to no fill, it will have no area. But filled polys will have the area of their fill.

HTH

B-Ger! I should have known that... I'm just so used to my Default Settings which I've not implemented in VW 2008 in the 24 hours or so I've had it. I'm _this_ (" ") close to using an emoticon, but the head-banging one is not in the repertoire.

I guess the Factory Defaults and I think we can agree to disagree. (But I'm right, you're wrong, to quote/paraphrase a fashionable guru of yesteryear.)

---

More about B-Ger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Motion_Picture

Now, wait a minute! That was V-Ger! Am I using the Russian transliteration here? In Welsh: Llaerggub.