texture applied to a Site Model? Possible?

I have a site model, and and arial image of the area, and I have created a texture from that image that I want to apply to the 'top' of the site model.

I have applied the texture to the site model, and in the OIP, it shows as applied, but the model stays a solid color.

I did a 'drape surface' of the site model and applied the texture to it, but since there are so many 'facets' it is near impossible to get the texture to align right. Also, when you update the site model, you will need to recreate the drape, and realign the image...

See image

I can apply a 'tiling texture' to the model, but in the OIP there is no way to 'adjust' the x,y, scale for a site model.

Thoughts on how I may accomplish this?

Thanks,

Spinner

http://www.craigrsmithaia.com/jobs/NNA/Picture%208.png

Spinner, Using aerial photography for a your site model texture is an interesting idea. It would be fine for overhead shots, but would obviously lack 'depth' for anything else (eg: the trees will always be flat, even when viewed from the side).

That said there is a way to adjust the image to fit your site model. If you find the texture resource in the resource browser you can adjust the scale, but I'm afraid that the x/y orientation may take some trial and error using photoshop (or another image editor) prior to the creation of the texture.

My usual preference for these types of models is to use a simple jpg of the site's overall color (like of a grassy area)with the scale set very fine, so that really all I'm getting is the color and a 'sense' of the texture. For trees and other prominent site features I usually use image props (like the x-frog trees in Landmark/Architect). I then also take a jpg of the background and use that to create a RenderWorks Background (of course this only works for 'still' shots).

Have fun ;-)

Thanks guys, good ideas.

As for sketch-up, I believe you are referring to the Photo match feature?

http://sketchup.google.com/gsu6vtviewer.html

That was a bit more than I was hoping for.

Maybe this should be a wish list item, but I was hoping to have the same texture control for a site model, as any other 3d object has, primarily, scale, x,y, etc. That would give us the tools to make this work, much easier.

Anyway, I will keep fighting it, but need to work on the house that is going in the site...

Enjoy