View layers in 3D

Hi. This seems like a simple question, but I've never tried it before today and I can't seem to figure it out. When I try to view a drawing in 3D and that drawing has several different layers, I only seem to be able to view the active layer in 3D. The other layers are shown but remain in Plan View. How can I look at the entire drawing in 3D?

Thanks

This is how VW works - changing the view only changes the view of the active layer.

If you have one of the design series products, you can use Stack Layers under the View menu to align and stack them up.

Otherwise, you can always use old faithful - Layer Linking.

For this, create a new layer.

Go to View > Create Layer Link

Choose the layers you want to see together

Click OK

This is a linked model, so any changes to the model need to be done on the original design layers. Likewise, any changes made on the original design layer will be visible in the layer link model.

One other question if you have the time.

Is there a way to align symbols to the grid using their insertion points? Whenever I try to align to grid, it always uses the top left corner. Since the symbols are all different sizes, they do not line up to the grid relative to each other. It would be really nice to select all my lighting instruments and align them to a 6" x 6" grid. Then (I know, I said one more thing but it's really two) I would love to be able to take the X Y position information in the shape tab and copy it into the instrument data record. Ultimately I would like to align all the instruments then export the X Y positions into LightWright and print truss labels with measurements accurate to the closest 6".

Thanks for your time

Marty

Thanks. That does work well, but most of my plots come to me from designers and the instruments are all at different positions like X=12'6.2297". I've tried copying and pasting but that doesn't work. I'm now working on inserting a new instrument on a different layer on top of the existing one. Then I just have to figure out how to get the data from their record into the Spotlight record. I happen to have a lot of time on this show (Apple WWDC) and I'm having fun finally learning this program I've been using for 10 Years!