Modifying walls with straight lines

Dieter @ DWorks

Question

When you modify a wall, you can't modify it so that all the edges are straight (read horizontal or vertical in most cases). There are always a few milimeters incorrect and do have a small slope. Although it is nearly invisible, i find it very frustrating because i want an accurate model of a home and to put a corner window in a wall, the wall needs to be reshaped. does someone have a solution to this? are can this be altered in the next version of vw???

15 answers to this question

Link, you may already know this, but when you are in the process of using the 3d RESHAPE tool on walls (or anything), you can use the DATA DISPLAY BAR (at the top of the drawing window), to enter precise values for your reshape. So for example: Activate the 3d RESHAPE tool by DOUBLE CLICKING on a wall (or click on a wall then select the TOOL), then GRAB the VERTEX you wish to MOVE. As you move the vertex, WATCH as the values in the DATA DISPLAY BAR change. NOW, and without letting go of the VERTEX, use the TAB key to HIGHLIGHT the appropriate DATA DISPLAY FIELD. Once HIGHLIGHTED, enter a VALUE and HIT ENTER (or RETURN). You will see that the MOVE (or stretch) is now CONSTRAINED to the VALUE. You can do this MULTIPLE TIMES during the same RESHAPE and for each FIELD by using the TAB/ENTER VALUE/ENTER, as many times as you wish. This does take a bit of practice, but it will pay-off as you start to use it more.

FYI, the DATA DISPLAY BAR is an integral part of VW's and can be used with nearly EVERY TOOL (eg: LINES, RECTANGLES, CIRCLES, etc.)

Hope that helps!

Peter - it still will not let you reshape to a vertical edge using the 3D Reshape Tool. ie. have two vertices aligned vertically.

Frustratingly though if you use The Fit to Roof command you can get a vertical edge.

Where possible I use the Fit to Roof command in lieu of manual reshaping with the 3D Reshape tool because of this:

- Go to the required elevation view (Use Set 3D View for non orthogonal wall situations).

- Draw the profile you require using the 2D Polygoon tool and extrude it.

- Switch to a Top/Plan View and make sure the extrude completely covers the wall you want to reshape.

- Create a temporary layer with the same Z as the Layer the wall to be reshaped is on.

- Transfer the extrude to this temporary layer via the OIP.

- Select the wall to be reshaped and use the Fit Walls to Roof command to profile it as you want it.

- Once you have completed the reshape delete the temporary layer.

NB: This method works equally well for profiling the bottoms of walls to the tops of footing and the like..

Edited by mike m oz

Mike, I think I see what you mean, but don't have time to test right now. If it is indeed true (and repeatable) that the reshape does not allow vertical alignment of two vertices you ought to send a descrition of this issue, along with a file demonstrating the issue, to the bugsubmit list. PC

I'm totally at loss here. Walls that are drawn "horizontal" or "vertical" will stay at those angles, as will all other walls, regardless of their angle.

They don't wake up in the middle of the night and assume a new angle by their own volition.

The amount it is off vertical is very small. In the example I submiited with the bug report it was 1 mm. Doesn't seem to matter what the height is the closest you can get is 1 mm.

1 mm will not be noticeable in almost every modeling situation, so it shouldn't prevent you from using the wall tool.

I just don't understand the logic of why you can have vertical edges when you add vertices using the Fit to Roof command, but can't when you manually add vertices using the 3D Reshape tool.

I notice, that too. I had a model where i needed to cross some beams. We are trying no to use the hybrid concept of work, we are making pure models (3d only), and make plans, section and elevation from it. In that case we need a model as good as posiblel, we don't want that kind of errors.