Deleting old versions of VW

1. I recently perused my hard drive looking for files to delete and when I came across my old versions (10.5 and 11.5) I wondered if there was a practical reason to keep these old applications on my hard drive since converting the old files to version 12 is practically automatic.

2. I then wondered about version 12 beneath 12.5.1. Does 12.5.1 rely in any way on the earlier 12.0.1 to function?

3. So, what would be the benefits of keeping, or conversely, what would be the drawbacks of deleting these oldies?

Thanks, Bradley

1. Depends on your situation

2. No

3. One problem with leaving them there is that you can have problems when double clicking on VectorWorks files, and having them open in one of the old versions instead of the latest version (default apps have been a bit temperamental in Mac OS X over the years). One problem with removing them altogether is that you might have plugins that only work with a certain version (i.e. they haven't been updated for the latest) so you may need to use them in an emergency, or you may have forget to bring resources or workspaces, etc. with you to the latest version. For these reasons I've got into the habit of just zipping them up and leaving the zip file in the Applications folder for safe keeping.