referenced symbol locations?

I was unclear in my post. I have a symbol that is referenced in a plan that I am working in. I would like to edit that symbol. Without opening all of my plan files that might have the referenced symbol, is there a way of determining where the orginal (and editable) symbol is?

Obviously we need more thorough cad management, but until then?

are you trying to edit a symbol to change in the ref'd file? symbols from referenced files cannot be editted in the target file. that may, or may not, be a good thing. if you need to see where your ref'd symbols are from, short of searching through all your files, you can give them a name that gives you a hint. you can, however, duplicate a ref'd symbol in the target file, and give it a new name. then you can edit away...

are you trying to edit a symbol to change in the ref'd file? symbols from referenced files cannot be editted in the target file. that may, or may not, be a good thing. if you need to see where your ref'd symbols are from, short of searching through all your files, you can give them a name that gives you a hint. you can, however, duplicate a ref'd symbol in the target file, and give it a new name. then you can edit away...

I agree that editing referenced symbols could potentially be dangerous, but as long as the process made it apparent that the change would have a "global" impact I think it would be okay. I ended up duplicating the symbol to get the result I wanted. Next time I will be more dilligent with symbol management.