DXF/DWG Colors

rkraybill

Question

Is there a reasonable method to assigning class colors using the AutoCAD color numbers?

I know that VW recognizes those numbers for the purposes of importing .dwg files. I need to assign those color numbers to classes for exporting to .dwg.

This is for a digital submission that is required to meet the National CAD Standards.

3 answers to this question

Not certain if v12.5 has any proclivity for this function.

The old fashioned way:

1) Strip the color info out of the exported file by export to Vectorscript

2) Place it into an Excel VSS spread with the necessary creation headers for classes

3) Import the VSS into a blank document to create the classes

4) Use that new class structure as a template for the export files

There are numerous scenarios possible with this basic technique depending on levels of complexity required for the template.

here's example for survey data > vss:

http://www.fractalnet.org/CAD/VSS_SRVY_DATUM.zip

I appreciate the reply. I don't think that will work for me - but I did discover another way around the problem, at least for now. I mapped the stock VW (12.5) color palette according to the color numbers as they translate to AutoCAD. If anyone else wants to use this file for reference, click below on "Color Palette Download." This is an imperfect solution, but does give a clue on how to set class colors to match AutoCAD layer color requirements. Note that the VW palette does not use the same 256 colors as A-CAD and thus there are duplicate colors when using VW.

Color Palette Download