rendering lighting objects

Just to clarify, I have a 2' high stage with a Source-4 sitting on it (at Z=2') pointed straight up to a focus point at 20'

I never modified the instrument texture.

If it's the fixture texture that's preventing the light from escaping, then why does it work in FinalRenderworks mode if I move the fixture 1" above my "stage"?

The fixture symbol and the light object are both tied together. Wouldn't that mean the the surface of my "stage" (a basic extruded rectangle) is interfering with the light?

If so, is there a way to set the light object so that it is higher in the fixture symbol?

Oh, and the CONVERT TO LINE LIGHT feature is amazing!

Thanks,

Dave

Okay, here's one.

I have created a 2' high extrude and have placed 4 lights on top at a height of 2'. These lights are turned on w/lit fog active.

If I tell it to render in FastRenderworks, it works.

If I tell it to render in Final Quality, it doesn't.

However, if I raise the lights to 2'1", they work.

My assumption here is that the light object is being placed too low in the light symbol and is actually being placed inside the extrusion.

Is there a way around this or is this a bug?

Thanks,

Dave

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, this is exactly what is happening.

You need to apply a non-shadow casting texture to the object. This will allow light to pass through the object. You can use the "Default Instrument Texture" that ships with the spotlight symbols if you want a simple black texture. All the instrument symbols that ship with V12 have this texture applied to them.

[ 03-14-2006, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: klinzey ]