God I am getting tired... Lable legend

Jim_Allen

Does anyone know how to set up a lable legend for an instrument that is not facing upstage or down stage???

I am trying to set up a sidelight instrument and CANNOT figure out how to align the information blocks so they will be in front of the instrument. Something has changed in this menu from previous versions!!!

Figuring out this program is mind numbing!!!!!

Create a new label legend for side lights

When editing in the label legend manager, rotate the instrument in the direction the unit focuses (as well as using the correct symbol for the light), then place your attributes wherever you want them. It takes a few tries to get all the attribute placements correct on the drawing.

You might want to create a SR separately from a SL, ditto a different label for a PAR vs. an S4. I find it easy to create a SR then do a Duplicate in the resource browser, then go in and rotate horizontal for the new SL label, as example.

SB

• 3 weeks later...

I made my sidelights label legend in one shot; since the legends rotate with the units at or after placement, it was no big deal to make a sidelight legend by simply avoiding an imaginary VERTICAL line running through the sample instrument. Later it may be necessary on a few units to manually drag the information around to be more presentable. I find this feature to be VERY useful!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you place a label in front of the instrument it should always appear in front of the instrument. If it is not doing this, please submit the problem to bugsubmit@nemetschek.net. It should work as the same as previous versions.

It should not be necessary, nor is it advisable, to rotate the instrument in the lable legend manager. This will only cause the labels to be placed at odd positions around the instrument.

Kevin,

Can I email you this plot so you can see what I had to do, and verify if this is a bug or not.

Take a look at instrument #1 on the # 4 elect and then SL in the Label Legend Manager to see what I did.

Also would like you to look at the key - look at what is happening to the strips, and instrument names.

Jim

Jim,

The Purpose is set to not be right reading, and rotated 90 in the LL. When which means that the text rotates with the instrument. So the instrument is rotated 90, the Purpose text is rotated 90. Where as the Color is set to Right Reading, so even though the instrument is rotated at 90, the text maintains its original rotation.

If you are trying to get the information to always appear upstage or downstage of the instrument, that's different.

The spacing problem is a know issue with the instrument key. The Key is a simple group that you can edit to rearrange the information.

Kevin,

What I am trying to do is when I have sidelights the color and purpose text appears in front of the instrument orientated the same as instruments facing up/dn stage.

I am not sure I understand your explanation. Why would purpose and color not orientate the same way??

I assume we all want the text information orentated the same reguardless of which way the instrument is facing, so the ME doesn't have to turn the plot in circles to read??

Open the label legend manager. Select the Purpose field, notice that the right reading check box is checked. Select the color, notice that right reading is checked. This is why the Purpose label and the color label act differently.