Did mirroring insturments get fixed in VW12?

Mickey

I refer to the problem of using the "mirror and duplicate" tool. A very useful tool when cranking out large plots of redundant fixture clusters, or just drawing half a truss grabbing all fixtures and mirror and duplicating.

The problem was when you did this the text in the label legends would get reveresed and be upside down.

Here is a link to the original thread:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000517

Anyone?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Make sure you have adjust fliped text turned on in the Vectorworks Prefrences. If your labels are moving from the right side to the left side of the instrument when they are mirrored, this is the corect behavior, butcase the instruments have been rotated 180deg when they are mirrored.

There is currently no official report of this problem in the bug tracking system. If this does not solve your problem you can submit a file and a description of your problem to bugsumbit@nemetschek.net

Kevin,

You statement that there is no report of this problem is very frustrating. Please see my link above and you'll note that there was a dissucssion about this topic in August of 2004.

Here's a quote from that thread:

"I have a symbol for which I created a label legend. (ETC S4 36?) That legend contains "circuit name" "circuit number" They both have circles as their container. When I place the "instrument" on the drawing the unit faces up (top of the monitor, and the circles are at the bottom. In object info I add "A" in the ciruit name, and "1" in circuit number, and they are in their appropriate circles.

If I copy and paste they are in their appropriate circles.

Here comes the winner. If I select, and mirror-duplicate they are reversed.

I checked my File/Prference/VWPreferences/Display, and yes the box "adjust flipped text" is checked.

I tried unchecking it and rechecking it, and still the info gets reversed when I mirror-duplicate.

To correct this I select the individual unit and Tool/Rotate/Flip Horizontal, and the unit now reads correct.

If I select more than one unit and flip they are treated like a group, and the whole thing gets flipped which is not the desired effect.

This is a bug.

What's happening is the circles are treated as graphic objects.

The solution would be to halve a graphic object that could contain multiple data fields.

Is that possible in Spotlight?"

I'll submit it to the bugreport, but's sad that something that was a problem a year and a half ago isn't even recognized.

quote:

Originally posted by mickey:

I take it from the lack of response that either nobody knows what I'm talking about or it didn't get fixed.

IMO, what is needed is a "mirror duplicate" tool - a tool that mirror-copies symbols, but places the copy "non-mirrored", instead of mirrored, as things are now. I regularly use a somewhat modified OLD version of just such a tool that came w. the Theatrical Lighting Toolkit a few years ago. Seeing that the code already sort-of exists, adding this tool to the current VW shouldn't be all that big of a deal...

Kevin?????

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Once I have a file that demonstrates the problem I will take a look at it.

There was a calss of bugs dealing with mirrored instruments that was fixed recently, but nothing was done to adress this one problem, although it may have been fixed in the process, but I can't duplicate the problem on a file that I create.

There is almost no chance of getting a special mirror duplicate tool. The goal has been to consilidate tool fuctionality, and not have a special tool for operating on differnt objects. If there is a problem with mirroring, then the existing mirror duplicate tool needs to be fixed.

Discussions on this can get lost at the bottom of the list. The only way to know that a problem is being looked at is to submit the problem to tech support or bugsubmit.