creating beams / plan height view

Sandking

How in an easy way create a beam? I've drawn a rectangle and extruded it, but then I want to change line type to dashed - it doesn't work - it covers everything below. I thought I could draw separately a beam which will be under floor on design layer and separetely symbol representing this beam drawn by dashed line . Any thoughts on that?

Question also is connected to this - how to set different height of plan view? Usually it's on about 1,5 m and everything above on the same floor should be drawn by dashed line (that is what I have been teached). Thus it should be impossible to see door ending at height 2 m and window starting at 2,1 m on the same view in the same style. I could change this manually - sure, but some automation would be helpful.

I tried to create walls as jfmach said, but it still the same problem - I want only dashed outline in plan, yet - a solid in 3d. When selecting no fill on wall it looks ok in plan (I have only outline) but in 3d - I got no fill. I tried to put beam on other design layer and select "gray others" but i would like to set color of outline by myself. Other option that I though is to create a group in which outline is on proper layer and beam is on layer "beams". This way I should operate with one object (or rather group) and have effect that I want. Is there any simpler method?

Sandking,

There are several ways to create beams and set them at different "Z" heights so they sit where you want them in the 3D model.

If you are running VW-Architect under the toolsets>detailing use the joist tool to create the beam. There is also the framing member tool and the rafter tool that will allow you to set parameters for the beam object you want.

There is also a way to create the 3D object at the proper "Z" height than overlay it with a 2D object that is visible on plan however the tools above are more than adequet to give your desired result.

Pete A.

I take this opportunity to inform Mr. NNA that the "Steel Open-Web Joist" option is useless and does in no way reflect either the architect's intention-based approach or the welding shop's way of making one. I dare not think what a structural engineer would say of the product of the tool.