problem with disappearing fixture

Sandking

I inserted a WC fixture and after a while I realize that it's missing! Changing the type helps but after a while it's missing also. Insertion points are visible. Parting walls and door is also visible. In 3D I can see a wireframe but when I change to OpenGL or other rendering option it disappears. I tried to put varios solid fills and textures and it doesn't work. Sink next to it which is on the same class and layer is visible. Help.

P.s.

Why when I try to insert new resource it is invisible and it says in edit panel "Replace"? When I click it there's no copy of the same resource, so I click any of available and resource isn't visible.

Edited by Sandking

Symbols and groups are a container. Both the container and the objects inside have classes. Go to view menu>Class Options>Show/Snap/Modify Others. Double click on the symbol to edit the objects inside the symbol (this won't work if it is a PIO). In your case the objects inside the symbol have a class that is set to not be visible. 99.9% of the time things "disappear" it is a class/layer issue.

When I try to double click on fixture I placed with tools (a WC) it says: "The selected object has no edit behaviour." When I try to edit a furniture I placed from a resource file it says: "The symbol definition "X" is referenced, so it cannot be edited."

I realised that all furnitures I was talking about is on class "none", while it should be on different class (double clicking it to edit "inside" symbol works as shown above. 3D view shows after class "none" is set, so now it's only problem of changing class of symbol.

p.s.

What is interesting I had "show/snap/modify others" set in classes and furnitures were visible only after I manually set class "none" to visible. That's a bit strange.

Edited by Sandking

"None" class is fine for your fixtures. What Ray is saying is that INSIDE the symbol or PIO definition there may be objects assigned to a "Plumbing equipment" class, or some other such class, that can be automatically created when using a PIO but are set to invisible.

Check your class list. Look for new classes that are set to invisible, set them as visible, and your fixtures will display properly.

If you want your symbols to be assigned to a particular class, select and edit the class in the Object Info Palette. Note that this will change the container object's class, but will not change the classes assigned to the objects inside the container.

You don't need to edit the symbols - just make the invisible class(es) visible.

By the way, if your symbol was created from a PIO, you can enter the edit window, ungroup the PIO, and then you will be able to edit the class of the individual objects.

What version of VW are you using? I notice that v 12.5 doesn't seem to create the invisible classes when inserting PIOs, or at least not as frequently.

>You don't need to edit the symbols - just make the invisible class(es) visible.

Yeah, but I don't want to have every symbol on class "none". I would like to customize it as I like, not as I have to like. I realized that my furnitures are connected to two layers - one I wanted it to be on and second - "none". Turning off any of these layers will turn off furnitures. I tried to ungroup furnitures to see if maybe inside some object are on none, but everything looks ok. Strange.

I'm using 12.0.

you should really control the visibility of your symbols by the class that the item is within the symbol, not by classing the symbol itself. since you are creating a 'container', that should be 'none'. if you have a plumbing fuxture, that symbol will be inserted with none active, and the fixture within the symbol classed to whatever plumbing class you are using. its makes it easier to control the visibility throughout your file.

It sounds like the WC symbol is referenced, by the referenced message you get when you try to edit it. This means the symbol exists in another file somewhere. You will need to find the file it belongs to and edit the symbol in THAT file.