HDRI issues

domer1322

I just discovered HDRI use for backgrounds and came across these problems:

1) on first attempts, the sample HRI I used for environment backgrounds worked well, except it always appears the VW ground plane is too low for the background image.... it is as if the "sky dome" needs to be lower to make the perspective vanishing points match with the VW drawn objects VPs. Any solution ?

2) I tried some other HDRIs from another web site, and this time when I try to render the image in Final RW I get a dialog box saying "Rendering Failed due to lack of memory". I don't ahve any other applications open, and the VW file is a very simple test file with only two objects and a 3D VW people object. Any suggestions?

VW 12.5.0

Windows XP sp2

Pentium 2.8GHz with 1 gig RAM

• 2 years later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Bill:

The only workaround would be to move the model up in Z.

Note that you can use an HDRI background for lighting but another background resource for the visible background/backplate. The Layer or Viewport Lighting Options dialog lets you set an HDRI for lighting, and the layer's background assignment can be different. For example, use the HDRI for lighting through the lighting options but a plain color or gradient for the layer's background.