Arcs contain weird self-intersections

When trying to trim some arcs (created with the arc by three points tool), I discovered that each of them, when zoomed WAY in, contained a freaky little zig-zag at the midpoint. Upon executing the trim, the weirdness multiplied to each endpoint of the trimmed arc. Is this just a display oddity, or what? The drawing is to be sent to a laser cutting machine, so any screwy geometry will hose the toolpath.

Indeed there is!

And it changes shape as you zoom(!???)

However; I measured the glitch at about 0.0005mm on a 10m ? arc. The kerf on a laser is about 0.1mm and the nominated tolerance is usually given as 0.1mm.

So; I doubt you would ever see any result from a glitch that size. I never have in any of my bits.

Still, It shouldn't be there should it?

In a 1:1 scale new document I cut an arc to an intersecting 30 deg tilted line. Then I cut the line to the arc so they share an end point location. Then zoomed and nudged the arc over so that the two bands representing the vectors have edges close to each other. Made the line beige and .05 m, the arc black and .03, then brought arc to front. I zoom to about 21 million% and start to see aliasing on edge of arc, but not line. I zoom to 51 million % with interactive zoom tool and use scroll bar buttons to move around the intersection. I see kind of Navajo Rug zigzags on the edge of the arc, but not on the beige line. The zigzags are not consistent. Scroll up along one, scroll back down and it has different config. Some places I scroll past an "L" shaped peninsula of black, when I scroll back to it, the "L" closed around an island of beige. This must be a graphics card thing. But it's kind of cool. It better not mess up the water jet or laser path, though. Just updated OS to 10.4.8

-B