Autocad "stretch tool"

azizg

Question

I assume that the people at Nemetschek keep an eye on the compation. In AutoCad there is possibly the best tool ever invented for CAD work. the "stretch" tool. This allows you to stretch multiple object. but only from a line that you specify and with out changing parts of an object out side that line. It's really difficult to try and describe. But if there is some there that works on Autocad I'm sure they can demenstrate the tool.

I think Vectorworks has some thing similiar but it doesn't work in the same way and I've never found it useful.

6 answers to this question

VectorWorks has something similar. Select all the objects that you want to stretch.

Select the 2D reshape tool

with the 2D reshape tool, start away from the objects selected and drag a marquee of the area that you want to stretch.

Move your cursor inside the marquee

click and drag an object in the marquee

all the objects inside the marquee (that are selected) will stretch

there is an exercise and a movie show this in my Essential manual

Better than AutoCAD because you can create the marquee with either a downward or upward motion. Also, you can leave something out of the stretching just by not pre-selecting an object before activating the 2d reshape tool. Use data entry at the top of the screen to control stretching dimensionally; shift to constrain also works with this tool.

It would be icing on the cake, though, if we could use the lasso selection mode to capture just the vertices we want to stretch. Or shift-selection to add sets of vertices.