more drawing organization

For my cabinet and millwork shop drawings, I build a 3D model of, e.g., a kitchen, on a design layer, then use viewports and sheet layers for various plans, sections, and details. This is standard enough, I think. I also make unit-level drawings, where each cabinet, or door, or panel gets its own sheet layer with multiple viewports; to do this, I create a design layer for each discrete object. A viewport referencing the main 3D model design layer can be cropped, but not isolated to a single object, so far as I know. I could also create a class for each object and control visibility that way, though I prefer the flexibility of a design layer.

My question is: as both these techniques become laborious and create large numbers of design layers/classes on top of the others necessary, is there any other, more efficient, way to structure?

Peter- yes, I've tried discrete classes, still like design layers better. It's more, uumm...discreet.

Kevin-yes, I've been using interiorCAD for years (see signature). Great for the cabinet symbols, but drawing organization is still VW.

Thanks for the ideas.

Robert, the cabinet units are usually symbols; however, I don't understand how this helps in regards to my original post. Don't I still need a design layer to carry the solitary symbol, as opposed to the primary design layer of all assembled symbols? ... in order to have VPs of the single symbol?