VW 12 speed: single vs dual core

I read most of the other posts about VW 12 speed, but I want confirmation of this question before I buy a new computer. Is it true that if I buy a dual core PC Windows XP CPU at, say, 2.0GHz, that it run VW 12 slower than a single core 2.5GHz CPU ? I understood (from other posts) that the only operation that works with VW 12 on a dual core processor is Renderworks - Final Quality - ray tracing. All other operations would be slower. True or false ?

I went dual core and it has saved a lot of time because of how fast it renders. This may not be scientific but my dual core machine is way faster with 12 than my old single core (I think about the same ghz). If past performance is any measure, 12.5 will run faster and cleaner. That being said, 12.01 has some serious speed issues, at least for architects. The door and window pio is pokey (tested on three different machines with different files) and sticky.

Hi domer1322

Can I ask do you buy your machines complete, never doing any "upgrading" internally ?

The reason I ask it most suppliers are moving over to dual core as this seems to be the way its going for all processors - even talk of quad cores in the near future. If you buy say a single core machine you will have to buy a new motherboard if you want to upgrade to dual core later.

If you buy dual core now it will give you the capability to upgrade to faster dual cores processors in the future.

Unless the program is written to take advantage of dual core then it will only use one. There are however other advantages to a user in that other programs you have running will use the other processor, spreading the load as it were.

So I'd say you'll see an improvement in the speed of your overall computer useage but not a huge leap in program specific terms.

I've read that dual core is about roughly two thirds its equivalent "combined" single processor model.

I don't think you'll see much of a speed difference between the two you've quoted, but I'd buy dual core.

What you will find is the single core processor machine is alot cheaper as the manufacturers want to move these machines out of the production line/stock making way for greater dual core production capacity.

If you are happy to buy "old techonology" as it were, you can save money. Laughable I know, bearing in mind this was cutting edge not so long ago !!

What it does not do is allow for cheaper upgrading in the future, but then again if you are the type of person that just buys complete machines, never tinkers, pulls out motherboards, builds machines this is not an issue, hence my question.

Alan