Rendering light Qs

I have been playing around with the different rendering methods and was wondering if my reaction - that Rad takes too much time and doesn't look that much better than RenderWorks - is acurate.

I have had to reduce the number of lights and objects on stage so much to get Rad to render in any reasonable time frame - less than 1hr.

I have tried several different settings for Rad and if I reduce them to get good time I don't see enough of a difference in the look of my Q, actually it look less accurate than the Q in RenderWorks.

It would take days to render a bunch of Qs with Rad - and maybe that is the question - is Rad what I want to use?

What do others use?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Jim

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Rad gives you a much truer vision of what the scene will look like. Everyone is just used to seeing the Renderworks renderings. I would post the question on the Renderworks board. If you have the ability post a picture of your Rad rendering and one of your Renderworks rendering. Lately DaveD has been asking people for their file and seeing how much he can speed up the rendering by changing the rendering settings.

PS

I have't been able to get a Rad rendering that compares to the renderworks, as I have removed everything but the floor, one figure, and two lights with gobos to get a Rad rendering in under an hour. If I use the full Q with stage walls, 3 figures, 4 lights with gobos,and 6 backlights it ties up my computer for so long I just force close it so I can do other work. I will set one up tonight and let it work after I go to sleep and see what I get.

Jim