Artlantis export: 32 character limit

Christiaan

Question

8 answers to this question

Yes that's how we currently overcome the problem, however we're looking forward to this problem being eliminated so we don't have to abbreviate.

What I'd like to know is who is responsible for the restriction so we don't get into a blame game situation.

P.S. you don't get an extra 32 characters per nested class. In fact each nested class takes up an extra character (i.e. -)

This is very urgent for us now. Unfortunately we implemented a new Template with longer class names on the basis of the thread I linked to above on the Artlantis forum.

Confirmation as to whether this is the responsibility of NNA or Abvent would be very much appreciated. If it is due to Vectorworks technology is it due to be fixed in the next release of Vectorworks?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

As far as I know, no one at NNA has committed to fix this, and bug fixes that relate to products that compete with our own probably won't get absolute top priority. Moreover, I can't find anything about this in our bug tracking database. Has this ever been submitted as a bug?

This is disappointing Robert. I appreciate your honesty in pointing out that interoperability is not an absolute top priority but it doesn't bode well for third party software developers who want to work with Vectorworks, and it certainly doesn't bode well for the users who, for whatever reason, need to use third party software in their workflow.

I might add that Renderworks does not compete with Artlantis in practical terms. As much as we'd like to use it we can't, because it does not cope with the size of model we tend to work with.

I haven't submitted it as a bug as I had originally assumed it was a problem with Artlantis software. I'll submit one now, and I hope it can be fixed ASAP. In the mean time I now need to go back to my team and explain why we need to re-revise our new template to go back to short class names.