exporting problems

nowright

Question

I have recently upgraded to VW 12 and am working on a file that originally began in 11. Everything was going great until I tried to export to DWG. I have about 8 design layers and maybe 30 sheets. When I export most sheets they turn out fine, except the second and third floor plans and reflected ceiling plans. The second floor has nothing on the design layer and the third floor has everything except text and some of the ceiling hatches. When I export the first floor plan it comes out perfectly. I used the exact same method to export all of these. Also when I export only the design layer of these 2 floors it works fine.

Does anyone have any ideas about why some sheets would export great and others not at all from the same file? Thank you.

6 answers to this question

I have tried also exporting DWG files with VW12 in Autocad 2004, 2005 and 2006 and this command is definetly NOT working properly the resulting files are all mess up

I also tried exporting the same files in DWG 2000, 2002 and it is better BUT not working 100% the fonts and texts are not properly handled but at least the drawings are ok

PLEASE FIX these DWG file export commands asap!

DWG compatibility is a process of "reverse engineering" for Autocad competitors. Before blaming NNA for DWG problems, take a look here:

http://www.opendesign.com/

From the FAQ page:

"Why is the Open Design Alliance necessary?

Despite the common availability of neutral file formats, such as IGES and STEP, the vast majority CAD drawings are stored in proprietary formats. The best-known of these is Autodesk's DWG file format. DWG has, for many years, been far and away the world's most popular format for the storage and exchange of 2D and 3D CAD drawings, with billions of important drawings in this format around the world. With an estimated 5 million seats of AutoCAD sold throughout the world, AutoCAD is in a monopoly position within its market segment, where no competing product could be successful without the ability to read and write DWG files.

Beyond this, DWG files have been used to store the designs of publicly funded roads and bridges, and US and other government contracts often explicitly require that drawing data be stored in DWG format. Autodesk has declined to publish the format or to make libraries available to read and write DWG files to those companies it considers competitors. The Open Design Alliance was originally founded as the OpenDWG Alliance in 1998 to provide an open specification for OpenDWG (it's version of the DWG format), and to provide program libraries -- to anyone who wanted them -- for reading and writing OpenDWG files.

Was Autodesk invited to participate in the Alliance?

Since DWG is the native format of AutoCAD, Autodesk's dominant CAD product, Autodesk has been invited to join the Open Design Alliance ? several times. To date, Autodesk has not agreed to participate."

GH

quote:

Originally posted by holsteinson:

I have tried also exporting DWG files with VW12 in Autocad 2004, 2005 and 2006 and this command is definetly NOT working properly the resulting files are all mess up

I also tried exporting the same files in DWG 2000, 2002 and it is better BUT not working 100% the fonts and texts are not properly handled but at least the drawings are ok

PLEASE FIX these DWG file export commands asap!

Please submit a bug report along with the file(s), so we can see what the problem is.

George

we know who is the big bad villain here but I can not go back to my clients and tell them this as an excuse for VW shortcomings and/or inability to reverse engineering the DWG export/import support

in version 11.51 it was working OK the DWG export command, so obviously someone BADLY altered in the version 12 upgrade and now this mess

I'm afraid I am having the same problem with V12. I seem to have had somewhat better luck with V11. I don't know if it matters or not, but the drawing I am trying to export was created in V11. I have tried various combinations of options - selecting everything and ungrouping, etc. (unfortunately, I tend to create nested groups). Text is messed up, any of the VW drawing notations (detail bugs, window and door tags, etc.) come up without text. The only way that seems to work is to export design layers - but then I lose my sheet layout, and only get part (one viewport) of what I had on a sheet (I don't know the why and wherefore of which part).

Anyway - not working for me at the moment either, and this creating a problem with an important client for me as well. He has asked me for the third time for .dwg files that I promised several days ago. Can I send the file in for translation?