Titleblock Border Grid transferring through to Detail Viewports on separate sheets.

If I create a Viewport and lay a grid on to it via the title block, i'd like to be able to then create detail viewports on separate sheets that match the grid lines. So for instance, if a part of the drawing is in square C-7 on the main viewport, it is also in this square on the detail sheet so any grid reference for items is relevant for all sheets I make.

Many thanks, 

Matt.

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov,

I've put two rough screenshots of what I would like, I have a Sheet Layer that has a Viewport of the entire event site. From this we would make a set of grid references for suppliers to locate their trader positions, for first aid to know where they are going and security to know their positions etc. I've also just placed a Detail Viewport from this drawing on a second sheet layer for the main stage only but as the grid is specific to the sheet layer, it means that any of the grid references we make don't work for this sheet. I'd like the grid to start halfway through number 20 and finish halfway between number 30 on the horizontal and be between S and Z on the vertical axis as it does on the main site sheet. Is there a way to make it so that every Detail Viewport I make can have a grid that lines up with the grid that the Detail Viewport is taken from?

Many thanks, Matt.

Main Stage.png

Main site.png

1 hour ago, Jeff Prince said:

If I understand your desired outcome correctly, you can put grid lines on a design layer to solve this problem.

Thanks, Do you suggest putting a title block over the drawing in a Design Layer and the creating the viewports from that? Would I then still get the grid numbers and letters on my Detail Viewport or just the lines of the grid?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Thanks, Do you suggest putting a title block over the drawing in a Design Layer and the creating the viewports from that? Would I then still get the grid numbers and letters on my Detail Viewport or just the lines of the grid?

You don't need a titleblock in the Design Layer, what you need is a consistent grid references related to your map, not paper.

So, place a grid on a design layer, open a viewport to that design layer to create your overall map.  For the detailed areas, you can snap to the grid and draw a shape to make a new viewport from... any enclosed grids will appear in the enlarged viewport.

If your version of Vectorworks includes the Gridline Tool, use that because it will handle the annotation for you and change scales automatically... it's pretty nice!

If your VWX doesn't have the Gridline Tool, you can add annotations to your grid in the viewport annotations.  Anything you draw in Vectorworks can have a record attached, so you could make a grid ID record and attach it to any line your draw.  This would enable you to use a Datatag to report the line's GridID and place it wherever you want in the Viewport annotations.  This could be helpful if you were making a grid from say Bézier curves or shapes other than lines.  If I did a lot of this kind of thing and did not have the Gridline tool, I would build a template file that had a grid with records attached and just reuse it on each project.

Attached is an example demonstrating both approaches.

grid locator example.vwx

Hope it helps...

Oh, and another possible solution from the archives involves using Space objects.  The instructions here are still valid, but the examples have been deleted for some reason...

Edited by Jeff Prince