Several roof points - subdivision struggle

Hi!

I'm drawing a roof that has different ceiling heights on different points. I've set out pillars just to know the specific height on different points (which I've measured with a laser). Now I want the roof to "sit" on top of every pillar to make the roof look as it does in reality. I can't get the subdivision tool to do that, which I guess is an effect of my lack of knowledge of the tool.

Could someone explain how I can make the subdivision surface sit on top of every pillar? 

Many thanks!

Screenshot2024-04-19at06_38_27.thumb.png.36c566257d77e7ebb9191888b84f11a7.png

This may or may not be a subdivision solution.  I am not a big user of Subdivision, but perhaps the others have a solution.

I think I understand the problem and if I do, I would likely create a mesh object first with all the points I need to hit laid out first in plan view.   Then I would select the points that need raising and move them up in a side view.  This would give you a roof with sharp edges.  If they needed to be rounded, Convert to NURBS>Add solids>3D fillet.

Busy today doing tactile 3D (building docks).  But if you can post a picture of something similar so I/we know exactly the problem, you will likely get more solutions from the usual suspects.

• Like 1
On 4/19/2024 at 1:46 PM, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

This may or may not be a subdivision solution.  I am not a big user of Subdivision, but perhaps the others have a solution.

I think I understand the problem and if I do, I would likely create a mesh object first with all the points I need to hit laid out first in plan view.   Then I would select the points that need raising and move them up in a side view.  This would give you a roof with sharp edges.  If they needed to be rounded, Convert to NURBS>Add solids>3D fillet.

Busy today doing tactile 3D (building docks).  But if you can post a picture of something similar so I/we know exactly the problem, you will likely get more solutions from the usual suspects.

I think I did it somehow 😃 I used subdivision and it turned out quite ok. Not super accurate but good enough. Thanks!!

• Like 1

In retrospect, I think Subdivision would have worked out better than my alternative.  The mesh would have had issues with the round rim.

It is always better to find the answer on your own if you can.  Trial and error is the best way to learn.

Just out of curiosity can you post a picture of your work?

On 4/24/2024 at 1:55 PM, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

In retrospect, I think Subdivision would have worked out better than my alternative.  The mesh would have had issues with the round rim.

It is always better to find the answer on your own if you can.  Trial and error is the best way to learn.

Just out of curiosity can you post a picture of your work?

Thanks! It came out quite ok actually. Not really spot on but will do the trick. Now to the next thing I'm struggling with. 

How can I make the red extrude to be chopped of by the roof? I've tried with subtracting and section solids without any luck. 

The white surface is the roof, and the red rectangle is some kind of cover for the catwalk. The cover need to follow the roof surface on the inside. Therefore I made a rectangle and now I want the roof to cut of the top edge of the rectangle on the bottom side of the roof. How on earth? 

Many many thanks!

Screenshot2024-05-01at08_50_06.thumb.png.759f1d1f78ba0e3f095e37b7ebd2b6b5.png

HI Martin,

I made this in a completely different, but easy way.  Now that I see what you are after, I think you will like this method.  Much greater, easier control and unlike subdivision, it remains NURBS.

I have to go out for bit this afternoon, but will make a short video explaining the process later today.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

HI Martin,

I made this in a completely different, but easy way.  Now that I see what you are after, I think you will like this method.  Much greater, easier control and unlike subdivision, it remains NURBS.

I have to go out for bit this afternoon, but will make a short video explaining the process later today.

Thank you very much!!