ColorForce II 72 - No Asymmetric Beam Angle

I'm using the library version of the ColorForce II 72 fixture and no matter what I change on the field and beam angles, the fixture doesn't seem to do anything but a perfectly symmetrical/radial pattern. I would really be able to model the 80x35 pattern of the actual fixture with our resorting to the virtual 'shutter' cuts as I am lighting a pair of overlapping cycs and getting bleed all over the upstage drop.

Any hints/tips would be appreciated.

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 1.27.54 PM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I may be wrong but I believe that the rendering engine used for Spotlight lighting instruments can only render a symmetrical round beam regardless of the beam and field angles. The Draw Beam option will take the beam and field angles into account for showing how the beam spreads but cannot be used to render. I believe you have to create a different type of lighting fixture and use an .ies file to get oval beams. I am adding @klinzey who will be able to clarify for certain if my statement is correct.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, to get a asymmetrical distribution you need to apply a custom IES file to the light, orient the IES and render in Renderworks.
All lights in shaded mode will always be symmetrical.

• Like 1
On 4/12/2024 at 11:25 AM, klinzey said:

Yes, to get a asymmetrical distribution you need to apply a custom IES file to the light, orient the IES and render in Renderworks.
All lights in shaded mode will always be symmetrical.

Kevin, is there a webinar or something that explains your statement above? how do i "apply a custom IES file to the light, orient the IES, and render in renderworks"? thanks in advance, Steve