Split tool not behaving as expected

Luxedavid

Question

Using VW 2024, update 4. Let me start with I went through the split tool video on VW University and the behavior I'm getting is totally different. I have a simple poly shape and am trying to split the shape where I have drawn red lines. I was some how able to get 1 split action to work correctly on the right side but cannot get that action to reproduce. I show in the short screen recording attached that nothing happens on the top of my poly when I use the split tool, and even more odd is on the left side when I use the split tool, it adds a fill at an odd angle in the empty space in the middle of the poly. I found a work around using the split option with the clip tool, but I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong here.

2 answers to this question

I don't know why the cuts across the top of the object aren't working. Is it the same if you draw a much larger cut i.e. from above the object to below the object? You don't need to click from edge to edge.

The fill-at-an-odd-angle thing is happening because when you cut a polygon in half it goes from being a single closed object to two 'unclosed'/open objects. See the 'Closed' checkbox in the OIP. After making each cut you need to 'close' the objects by checking this box in the OIP. I don't know if there's a setting somewhere that makes the cut objects closed by default as it's a bit of a pain forever checking this box...

I assume you're using the second mode of the tool: the tool bar is off-screen in the video.

54 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I don't know why the cuts across the top of the object aren't working. Is it the same if you draw a much larger cut i.e. from above the object to below the object? You don't need to click from edge to edge.

The fill-at-an-odd-angle thing is happening because when you cut a polygon in half it goes from being a single closed object to two 'unclosed'/open objects. See the 'Closed' checkbox in the OIP. After making each cut you need to 'close' the objects by checking this box in the OIP. I don't know if there's a setting somewhere that makes the cut objects closed by default as it's a bit of a pain forever checking this box...

I assume you're using the second mode of the tool: the tool bar is off-screen in the video.

The closed checkbox in the OIP was exactly what I needed. Thanks!