Select similar tool Issue

Question

8 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello! 

Can we have more information about this case please.

What kind of objects were you trying to select?
Can you take a screenshot of the Select Similar tool settings window? 
Maybe you could try to copy these objects into a new file and see if you will run into the same issue there? 
If you will be able to replicate the problem in a new file please attach the file to the thread if possible. 

• Like 1

@Vectorworks drafter Shiv You are not using the tool properly.  There are classes on Vectorworks University and the Help menu that can instruct you on how to properly use the select similar tool.  You need to set your Tool Preferences to your desired behavior, like pretty much every tool in this software.  I'm guessing you have too many parameters selected when you probably only want "object type".

Edited by Jeff Prince
  • Like 4
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Dear @Vectorworks drafter Shiv,

You can go through the help menu as well. Please find the link below:

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2024/eng/VW2024_Guide/Basic1/Selecting similar_objects.htm?rhsearch=select similar&rhhlterm=selecting select selects selection selected similar

You need to click on the wrench and pencil icon in the top left corner of your design layer to set the exact preferences on what objects you want to select. 

Alternatively you can use the Custom Selection tool under Tools - Custom Selection. With this tool you can describe exactly what you are looking for with criteria dropdowns and it will select it for you. Please find the help link below:

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2024/eng/VW2024_Guide/Scripts/Creating custom_selection_scripts.htm?agt=index

• Like 2

What @Jeff Prince is alluding to is that we cannot see what the current settings of the tool are, since you currently have it set to <Active Settings>.  If you click on the wrench icon in the tool bar, it will open a dialog box showing your current settings.

image.png.d0c37226fde0a6e296c83c99b4aeb56d.png

It also appears that you have Current Selection Mode engaged, so you would need to have objects selected before running the tool.  If you select the first button as in my example above, Select Any Object Mode, the tool will work without needing to make a selection first.

Now, on to the preferences.

image.png.c1762d9ac5a5a08b9a60591d976da681.png

This tool must be configured to determine what "similar" attributes to look for.  My guess is that you have something selected in your preferences that can't be applied to the objects you are trying to select, such as Database, Symbol Name, Text Attributes, or Wall, Slab, and Roof Attributes.  What I'm guessing you are looking for is something like I have in my example, Object Type.  You can also save "presets" of your settings to make quick work of bouncing between different settings.  I have presets set up for Object Type, Class, and Symbol Name since those are the ones I most commonly need.

• Like 2