Print to PDF giving me a file that is not quite in scale

Question

I have been using VW2023 SP8. Just updated to 2024 but have not had a chance to check this issue. I create a sheet layer in ARCH D and 1/4" = 1'-0". (probably doesn't matter but it is entertainment - scenic and lighting). I print to PDF so I can take the file to a plotter at the school. The person there prints it for me, I've asked them to ensure they are using "Actual Size" and not "Fit". It's always off, about 6" every 25'. I don't use the export to PDF because for some reason it has a tendency to drop some graphics (like images of gobos in the file).

Is this something known about or am I or the printer person doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Christopher

6 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Christopher Mason said:

The person there prints it for me, I've asked them to ensure they are using "Actual Size" and not "Fit".

are you sure they are using actual size, have you seen them change the settings? 

I know my prints are out of scale if I don’t  change the settings manually. 

14 hours ago, Christopher Mason said:

It's always off, about 6" every 25'

Are you certain of this fact? Or maybe just using a scale rule on the printout?

8 hours ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

have you seen them change the settings?

Print techs should know their machines and also the options and difficulties of the software typically used on campus - but it could be worth you asking for a test print of a pdf with just a plain set of scale bars in H & V to be sure? Make them full length/width. The last thing you want is this problem to persist (stating the *** obvious!)

You're assuming your pdf is accurate? Although you don't say you have checked your own output by printing the pdf. The file you ask to be plotted may itself be the weakest link. You could import your pdf back into VW to check the accuracy. 

Hope you get to the bottom of this - I've had my share of printers/plotters with 'sensitive' drivers, both the software sort and the tech sort 😂

• Like 1

Thank you for the input. I have not watched them make the change on their machine, and Vectorworks is not used by anyone other than me at the school that I know of, this is a faculty resource center at the community college and they usually use the plotter for poster printing for different clubs. Before I came the previous designer just drew up plans on paper not to scale, but with dimensions for people to use. I have not pulled the PDF back into VW, that's a great idea, I'll do that to see if I'm the problem somehow.

I have been checking the scale with a scale rule on the printout and used a couple of different ones In case my arch ruler is bad. I am using the Student Edition of VW but I don't think that is supposed to have any problem like this.

2 hours ago, Christopher Mason said:

everything measures correctly.

Good to know your output seems ok. Looks like the final print/plotting side is suspect then. As you thought.

Maybe try my earlier option on plotting out your basic scale bars so you can check over a wider area?

Can anyone else suggest a better/more thorough check ???

(Hang on Chris - we’ll get you there)

• Like 1