Vectorworks 2024 Symbol with coordinates shown

Hello,
Is there some easy way to get the coordinates in to a symbol? So when you place a symbol it would show the true coordinates on top of the symbol?
Stake object does it, but when i put them inside the symbol they don't update the coordinates anymore. If i group the symbol and the stake then it works but for the workflow it would be better inside the object... The picture below shows the desired outcome made by grouping the symbol and the stakes.

image.png.2d2474a420a506693d9cc896323b6587.png

I'm new to linking text with records, but i haven't found a way to do this.
Stake Tool is great, but it feels weird that i can't take the use of it fully...
I appreciate if someone has time to help me!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In haste - with little time to check... I THINK you might be able to do this by creating an Autohybrid which contains the stake and a symbol. But can't test at the moment... Maybe you can and I'll look a little later! Good luck!

Thank you for your quick answer @Tamsin Slatter ❤️

I did try it, but couldn't get it work that way neither.
What am i missing now, i guess there is some way to do this easily with a symbol and with a stake object, i just don't find the solution.

I found some old files from this forum with some scripted databases and tags, those did not work the way i was hoping for. They did show the symbols basepoint coordinates, and i need to show 2 different points of the symbol. Honestly i'm trying to find some easier solution to this with the Stake Tool because the capability is there clearly!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

No - my apologies - an Auto Hybrid can contain only 3D geometry so won't accept a hybrid like a Stake or a 2D/3D symbol. I'm sorry.

I wonder if you could create a symbol that includes a 3D Locus and then maybe use a Data Tag to report the information from the Locus?

On 3/14/2024 at 2:13 PM, TeeMuki said:

Stake object does it, but when i put them inside the symbol they don't update the coordinates anymore. If i group the symbol and the stake then it works but for the workflow it would be better inside the object... The picture below shows the desired outcome made by grouping the symbol and the stakes.

I think the thing to do is to make a blue (Group) symbol from the two Stakes + the Hybrid Symbol. Then you have a single symbol that inserts as a Group + therefore preserves the functionality of the Stakes.