Neatest way of doing electrical layouts - symbolic and literal representation of fixtures.

To take the Elec / Mech schedule a bit further, I have found it convenient to add a formula in the worksheet which will count how many of each item you have. The electrician on the job loves this, so he /she doesnt have to take the time to count all the items from the drawings, etc 🙂

Screenshot.thumb.png.00131b0cb7aaf940809f12df632effd3.png

5 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

I have found it convenient to add a formula in the worksheet which will count how many of each item you have. The electrician on the job loves this, so he /she doesnt have to take the time to count all the items from the drawings

From a professional practice standpoint, I was taught NOT to count items for the contractors.  If the count is wrong, the architect could be financially liable for the error.  Depending on the item and the schedule implications it could be $$$.  If you do choose to include the information, a disclaimer notice saying the information is for "order of magnitude" only and should not be used for bidding would be worth adding.

Edited by E|FA

Yeah, that's the problem.  If they create their bid from the data and the data is wrong, you could be on the hook.  A simple example: your list says 10 fixtures, but the drawings show 11 fixtures.  Their bid is for 10, so who pays for the 11th fixture?  It gets more complicated when the error results in construction delays (e.g. long lead time to get the missing item because the sub ordered based on your count) that can domino to affect other trades and dramatically affect costs.  Simple solution: let the contractor be responsible for their work and count.

31 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

Plus...I am not a real architect 🙂

That doesn't mean you can't be sued like a real architect.  TBH, I've never been sued, but I have paid for my mistakes.  The old saying that the architect is always right, the contractor is always wrong, and the client always pays (reverse architect and contractor as desired) is not always true in my world.

This is precisely why I stopped being a Contractor...I got so friggin tired of paying for the Sub's mistakes that I had to pay for. To me, Contracting became an absolutely thankless job.  I am MUCH happier just being a residential designer, full stop.

• Like 2