Cable Tool For Speaker Objects

Hi All,

I have been trying to use the Cable tools to connect up amps and speakers in VW24 Spotlight. However I am only about to make this work when speaker symbols are setup distributer objects. I have set the symbols up to have electrical components which work when used as a disributer but I then lose the abilty to view speaker info like dispersions. Is there anyway of getting the speaker object to also show the power info like lighting objects do?

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Have you come across ConnectCAD?

It's more suited towards AV workflows. You can create a signal flow diagram of your speakers and associate circuits with drawn cables on the audio speaker layer.

The cable tools are really geared to power and mains distribution (for now at least).

Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply I havent been very well this week.

I Havent had a look into connectCAD tho definantly will however will depend on the company would want to use it.

Attached is a few screen shots and a demo file showing the info of the two objects. Idealy both the speaker object and the power info would be accessable from one object.

Ta

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

Speaker Demo.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I'm doing some research, but it's unlikely going to be something we can do at the moment. The issue is that the speaker tool places a parametric object that represents the speaker symbol. The cable tool doesn't look inside parametric objects yet. 
I started going down a rabbit hole of grouping a speaker version of your symbol with a distributor version, and then making a grouped symbol. This had some success but became wonky if I tried to move things around.
Cable tool improvements are actively being worked on and making connections to plug-in objects is a high priority. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for taking a look! I did also try grouping objects but found I would have to ungroup these to move/edit options in them both. This would be a huge faff for now but once postions are finailised I may add the distributer and group them later on.

For now I'll build the plans with Speaker objects and hopefully down the line will be able to use some cable tools to make plans easier and have all of LX, Sound and Video from one document.

Any updates would be apreciated!

• Like 1