Edit Viewport: Crop Option Button to See Outside of Viewport

gloudon

Question

The way the crop option currently works is that if you start to crop a viewport, if no other option is selected, the crop makes everything else on the sheet layer disappear. This creates the problem of cropping a viewport to itself instead of being able to line up one viewport to another. Even if other options are selected such as "Display Viewport Outside Crop", this only displays what's outside on the design layer. If I want to crop one viewport in relation to another I have to measure my crop boundary and paste that measurement into the other viewport's crop that I want to size to. There is an option in vectorworks preferences to "show other objects in editing mode" but if you want to turn it off because you are editing a symbol and the other lines are getting in the way, you have to go into the Vectorworks preferences to turn it off and on every time.

What I would like is the ability to, when cropping a viewport, see all the other viewports on the sheet layer so that I can position my crop in relation to every image around it. This can be in the form of a button or check mark just like the option "Display Viewport Outside Crop". This would give the benefit of setting up grid lines to easily crop and move my viewport to with the ability to turn it off or on depending on the viewport/symbol I'm editing. This would go a long way in making presentations, boards, and editing objects, like symbols and groups, in Vectorworks easier to work with, and more professional looking.

Edited by gloudon

4 answers to this question

image.png.3688353e49ebd5556cf51b36bfef42fd.png

This setting  will allow you to see objects outside the Crop

You can also use the Clip tool to clip from the Crop directly on the Sheet Layer

*Enhancment request - Opp(Alt) Clip to Clip to a Viewport Crop

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, bcd said:

image.png.3688353e49ebd5556cf51b36bfef42fd.png

This setting  will allow you to see objects outside the Crop

You can also use the Clip tool to clip from the Crop directly on the Sheet Layer

*Enhancment request - Opp(Alt) Clip to Clip to a Viewport Crop

Wow. I didn't know you could do that. That's awesome!

What exactly do you mean by "*Enhancment request - Opp(Alt) Clip to Clip to a Viewport Crop"?

You can use the Clip tool to clip from a 2d shape,

eg a rectangular chunk from a circle (or a Viewport Crop directly on the Sheet Layer)

Holding OPT while using the same tool allows you to add a chunk to 2d objects. However it doesn't work with the VP Crop for some reason. It would be good if it did, so you could - so you could easily add to the VIewport Crop without the editing the Crop in the usual way.

• Like 1