Assigned image to 2D object reads as a solid

Question

Hello,

I have assigned an image to a 2D object but it reads as a solid (gray) color. 

Wondering if this is due to the size of the object that is too large to display any texture.

Is there a setting to change the scale of the IMAGE selected so it reads as the texture it represents. In this case it's carpet? Screenshots attached.

The next question is: Can I use a 2D image and apply it to an extruded object AND make it look identical in 2D plan  and 3D views?

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 11.56.52 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 11.56.31 AM.png

2 answers to this question

It's hard to tell, but it looks like your image fill is set to 50% transparency, which may be why it isn't showing up well.

If you hit the 3-dot menu next to the fill in the Attributes palate you can change the scale of the image.

image.png.c7d38d66a3fd77fb239a8318226a378e.png

if you go into 3D, there are a few more considerations, but yes, you should be able to get the same representation in 2D and 3D views.

You would probably not want to use an image fill for the carpet but a solid fill and apply a texture.

That texture would show up in a "Shaded" 2D view, not a "Wireframe" 2D or typical plan view. 

You could make a hybrid symbol out of the carpet so that in 3D you see the textured view and in 2D Wireframe you see the 2D rectangle with the image fill as you have it.

Hope that's not too much. 

Bart

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Hello Bart,

Thank you so much for this explanation! I did not know about the 3-dot menu options. This solved the rotation. 

For the carpet, I found a texture that looks good in 3D. In 2D it reads as too dark and saturated. I am having the same issue with other textures. 

Is there a way to make these textures more transparent? Or is there a way to lighten them?

Thank you!

Elly 

PS: I recently created hybrid symbols so am familiar with how they work. I can test it out with the carpet. However I would like to be able to replicate the carpet and wood flooring across multiple files and structures as they have multiple levels and shapes. Not sure yet what the best way to tackle this is. 

Edited by Positive Space Design