Camera match rendering issues

I can't seem to be able to render the camera match viewport with the camera match image as the background.  It renders fine in shaded mode, wire frame and fast vectorworks but not in realistic exterior.  For some reason I keep getting the cloud backgrounds with my masks laid over the top.  Any suggestions?  am I missing something?

On 2/27/2024 at 1:36 PM, asonkin said:

I can't seem to be able to render the camera match viewport with the camera match image as the background.  It renders fine in shaded mode, wire frame and fast vectorworks but not in realistic exterior.  For some reason I keep getting the cloud backgrounds with my masks laid over the top.  Any suggestions?  am I missing something?

From the OIP, you need to go into the Viewport's "Lighting Options", go to the "Background" tab and deselect "Apply Renderworks Background".

When that is selected, you are telling Vectorworks to cover the Cameramatch background with the Renderworks alternative, even if it is blank.

Some might think that is counterintuitive, but it somehow makes sense when you speak Vectorworks 🙂

Alternatively, you can activate the "rendtrworks background" and then select your image as the one to display.  It was set to None in your file, so it was doing the alpha channel render for you.

ScreenShot2024-02-28at15_48_05.thumb.png.f614ff7ab444397cacbbb45f061effb0.png

Edited by Jeff Prince
  • Like 2

Ok, I found the issue...these things are easy to miss 🙂

Check the screenshot below...in your Realistic-Final Rendering setting you did not select a background image....which was the 'cam match sandals 4 image.

I would council you to perhaps use the Realistic Fast setting until you really have your settings, lighting, etc all dialed in.   The Realistic Final takes a VERY long time to render.

Custom Renderworks does a pretty good job and is very tweakable and renders way faster, just FYI.

So...go back to your file and make sure the settings for Realistic Final include that background image....you had none selected, which is way you were not seeing it in your Rendering.

Hope this helps 🙂

Screenshot2024-02-28at12_47_21PM.png.7082ca9b041c94ea452d1b1558f42888.png

• Like 1

Oh...one other thing, then I will shut up 🙂

Good idea to have your sheet layer dpi set to minimum 300-400 dpi if you have any Rendering on that sheet layer.  Your was set to 72 dpi.  

Otherwise, your Renderings will look a bit fuzzed out and jaggy.

The Rendering below was done in Custom RW / High and took about 8 minutes.

Screenshot2024-02-28at1_44_25PM.thumb.png.0f0dcb4234695aff0ad7e8388a9ec329.png

• Like 2

Worked out well.  This is first time I used Camera Match.  Always used to mach the perspective by trial and error.  Here's the screenshot, still need to add some shadows.  I tweaked it a bit etc.  Thank you for the help.  Great tool.

Screenshot2024-02-29at8_56_43AM.thumb.png.82f717a5627ef2583b5540b8e649fbc4.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@asonkin Sorry for the late reply.  We are in different time zones 🙂

To your question about why that rendering I did seemed to be lighter...each of the RW Rendering options act a bit different and give slightly different results.

I had used Custom RW just to sort of test things out in general.the lighting was based upon your Heliodon light source. That said, you can always let to use 'apply Image effects' when a render is finished to subtly tweak the overall look...much as one would in Photoshop, etc. Custom RW, by default, tends to render a bit lighter, but really it depends on your overall lighting settings. 

One question I did have...in your background image, it appears that the shadows on the buildings don't quite match the shadows that were created from the use of your Heliodon?  I could be wrong.  Did you note from the photo you took, the time of day the photo was taken?? 

Anyway, all that said, you made some good progress on your updated Rendering 🙂 Good job!

Thank you.  I understand.  I did put in the same time and location for the heliodon.  I may be off a few minutes but it was somewhat overcast so the only really visible shadow is from the brick bench in the lower left corner.  I think it's close enough for the folks who will be viewing it.  I am surprised that you even noticed.  Good eye.