Standard View hotkeys/shortcuts not working

Mike_M

Question

Hi all. I created a new workspace in order to change some of my hotkeys. I wanted to set ctrl+1 to a top/plan view, ctrl+2 to a front view, ctrl+3 to a right view, and ctrl+4 to right isometric.  I've had success with the second two hotkeys. ctrl+3 shifts me the right view and ctrl+ 4 to a right isometric view. The first two do not work however. ctrl+1 zooms in and ctrl+2 zooms out. All 4 hotkeys show as being set up when I look at the view options from the pull-down in the tool bar up top. For example, if I click View > Standard Views > Top/Plan shows as being set to "ctrl+1". Anyone have any idea why? I'm using Vectorworks 2024.

I have a second question in case anyone has any insight. I have a numeric keypad on my keyboard. At the moment, these numeric keys move around my model space like directional controls in a video game. Shifting left, right, up, down etc. It seems that in some version of vectorworks, these keys should be switching my views like I was trying to set up above. Has that changed for some reason? Could it be an issue with my keyboard?

Third queston, not a priority, the answers to my above questions might make it irrelevant. If not, I'll make another post in the general discussion forum. It's less troubleshooting and more of a question. From what my quick research is telling me, I probably can't use these keys as custom hotkeys/shortcuts. It seems the most I could do is turn on/off the functionality of them for use in the data bar. Am I correct or is there a work around? A guy I used to work with had a separate numeric keypad, plugged in via usb, that he used with Vectorworks 2021. This second numeric keypad was set up with shortcuts. 5=top/plan, 4=left, 8=front, 6=left, 2=bottom, etc. I thought this was super cool and am hoping to set up something similar. Said previous co-worker was a little more tech savy than I am and that setup could have been a little more in depth. I'm curious if anyone has or knows anything about a similar setup?

Edit: After digging further than perhaps should be necessary I found the simple solution to my numeric key pad question. In order for the numeric keypad to change views one simply has to turn on number lock key first. This doesn't explain why the shortcuts I initially setup in a custom workspace for "ctrl+1" to be top/plan view isn't working. I much prefer using the numeric keypad for this however so I'm not super concerned about it now.

Edited by Mike_M
added info - solved 1 issue

5 answers to this question

Maybe things have changes I did have not noticed.  I learned about the hard code long ago before almost everyone had a mouse with s scroll wheel for zoom.

I think that originally the Z and X keys were configured for zoom. And then those were needed some something else and 1 & 2 were added.

But I just realized this weekend I have been using VW (Minicad) for 33 years (1991 MiniCad 3+). So there are a lot of things that I "know" that are no longer true. 😉

• Laugh 1

No I think you're correct. It says they cannot be modified in the VW2024 keyboard shortcuts doc:

Screenshot2024-02-25at17_02_01.png.4ffc8fa9757353bbe6d173d81a9f2d64.png

And when I first assigned these shortcuts they didn't work (were invoking zoom) + then I did something + that made them 'stick'. For example I have the 'Show or Hide NonPlot' command assigned in two places - under 'Show' in the 'View' menu plus in my right-click doc context menu - and I think when I assigned the shortcut to the command in the doc context menu the shortcut was still invoking zoom, but when I changed it + assigned it in the View > Show menu it worked... 🤷‍♂️

On 2/25/2024 at 11:31 AM, Pat Stanford said:

Ctrl-1 and Ctrl-2 are hard wired to Zoom In and Zoom Out.  You can't override those settings. But it might be a good idea to post your desire to do so in the Wish List Forum.

Glad you found the Num Lock so you can switch between view change and navigation.

Thanks for the insight Pat. I think I will add it to the wishlist. I'm imaging most users these days have a mouse with a scroll wheel function for zoom. One would think the need for a keyboard shortcut for a zoom function is less of a priority let alone remaining hardcoded.