Scale not working properly on imported survey

Hi all, I am still a relatively new user to Vectorworks, so I really struggle when things get overly technical! I'm hoping someone might be able to help me work out what I'm doing wrong here?

I've managed to import many survey files and create site models from them, but with this one something seems very wrong.

I created my site model using the contours (annoyingly, when the site model was generated it appeared far from the original document so I had to move it back.)

I then went to start inserting the house and trees, tracing from the 2D survey, but when I try to draw walls or tree symbols they come up HUGE in relation to the site model itself.

So far I've checked:

• The levels are all on the same scale (they are set to the scale the .dwg file imported at).
  • The document units are set to millimeters

I'm not sure what else could be wrong, and have done a bunch of searching in the forums but don't really know what terms I should be looking for.

Any help would be hugely appreciated 🙂

Josie

Jessica Kelly (Moriac).vwx

Once you import your survey, you should check the survey to ensure it the correct size. The scale on the layer you have given us is two times full size, 1:0.5

I have measured your site boundary and it came out at 59 mm, where it should really be 59 m. I think your survey is out by 1000, so maybe you've imported it as millimetres when it should be imported as metres. My rule of thumb is if the file is coming from a surveyor use meters and if the file is coming from an architect use millimetres. 

After importing the file, I often have to use modify bracket scale objects and then calibrate the file correctly. Always import your survey file into a new blank document, that way you can use scale and entire drawing without affecting any of your other work.

I didn’t know what version of Vectorworks to use. 

Jessica Kelly (Moriac) v2022.vwx Jessica Kelly (Moriac) v2023.vwx Jessica Kelly (Moriac)_2024_JP.vwx

• Like 2

It looks like you imported the DWG using the wrong units: you should have chosen metres rather than millimetres. As a consequence the geometry in your file is measuring for example 0.2mm for the contour interval when it should be 0.2m (200mm). So either start again + reimport the DWG making sure you set the units to metres (as this is the unit used by the surveyor) or you could use Modify > Scale Objects... + scale the entire drawing by a factor of 1000.

6 hours ago, Josie said:

(annoyingly, when the site model was generated it appeared far from the original document so I had to move it back.)

This happens when you create a Site Model in a 3D view. Always run the 'Site Model From Source Data' command in Top/Plan view.

• Like 2

It sounds like import units is the answer - but just in case, I've seen new users struggle before where they have layers set at different scales to one another. e.g. if your survey layer is set at 1:1000, and you're drawing on a 1:1 layer. I'd say there's rarely a reason to want layers at different scales to one another, and you can just check the 'set all layers to same scale' button.