Roof layers

Hello! Can someone explain how can I continue the wall layer up to the top one of the roof? I tried different combinations, but it didn’t work. If I make the settings that all layers of the roof connect to the external side of the wall, then the outside edge of the roof cut the window. If I bind the basic layer of the roof to the basic layer of the wall, (on the picture) then the isolation layer of the wall doesn’t go up, and leave an empty space. There is also option to continue the isolation layer of the roof to the extern side of the wall, but it leaves empty triangle between the layers. Is there any ways to solve this? 

image001.png

You should be able to extend the outer wall component upwards (top offset) so that it overlaps the Roof then tell the Roof component to clip the Wall.

Note: you don't say what version you're using but there are problems with Roof clipping in VW2024 to the extent that I am still using VW2023...

Just now, Tom W. said:

You should be able to extend the outer wall component upwards (top offset) so that it overlaps the Roof then tell the Roof component to clip the Wall.

Note: you don't say what version you're using but there are problems with Roof clipping in VW2024 to the extent that I am still using VW2023...

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I can manually make the outer layer of the wall higher, but in this case it doesn’t   bind automatically with the roof, and  have the rectangular top side. 
I have the same situation with the floor, but there are no problems, the outer layer of wall binds perfectly with floor layers.  
I use 2024 version. 

If you know how Roof clipping works + you're finding it's having no effect then I would advise exporting the file to VW2023 + working on it there.

If you are not familiar with Roof clipping then I can explain what you need to do. You need to set it up in the Roof component settings then manually bind the Wall to the Roof for it to take effect. But again, unless anything's changed since last time I tried you will probably find you need to do it in VW2023.

1 minute ago, Tom W. said:

If you know how Roof clipping works + you're finding it's having no effect then I would advise exporting the file to VW2023 + working on it there.

If you are not familiar with Roof clipping then I can explain what you need to do. You need to set it up in the Roof component settings then manually bind the Wall to the Roof for it to take effect. But again, unless anything's changed since last time I tried you will probably find you need to do it in VW2023.

I’m new in vectorworks,  I found the clipping setting, but they doesn’t work as I would expect. For example the switching between “wall cut the roof”, and the “roof cut the wall” doesn’t give any visible result at all. Combinations of connecting the layers to different sides of wall components doesn’t give the result I want. 
Mb your explanation can help. I have not tried manually  binding the walls to the roofs. 
Unfortunately I can’t switch to 23 version. 

I don't know if this will help, but in situations where inserts into Walls have problems, moving the Wall 0,0 will force the wall to reset without actually moving it.  You could try doing that with both the Roof and the Wall.

3 minutes ago, Amarin said:

I’m new in vectorworks,  I found the clipping setting, but they doesn’t work as I would expect. For example the switching between “wall cut the roof”, and the “roof cut the wall” doesn’t give any visible result at all. Combinations of connecting the layers to different sides of wall components doesn’t give the result I want. 
Mb your explanation can help. I have not tried manually  binding the walls to the roofs. 
Unfortunately I can’t switch to 23 version. 

If you post a file I can try it in VW2024 + try it in VW2023. It will be incredibly frustrating for you if you're new to VW + doing everything right but finding you're not getting the desired results + not knowing whether that's down to you or the software. 

For what it's worth the problem with Roof clipping in VW2024 is known + is meant to be resolved in the next Update due out mid-March (I've got it in my diary!)

Edited by Tom W.
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Tom W. said:

If you post a file I can try it in VW2024 + try it in VW2023. It will be incredibly frustrating for you if you're new to VW + doing everything right but finding you're not getting the desired results + not knowing whether that's down to you or the software. 

For what it's worth the problem with Roof clipping in VW2024 is known + is meant to be resolved in the next Update due out mid-March (I've got it in my diary!)

Thank you very much for helping! 
I was preparing the file to send here and turned all the setting to 0, and then connected the walls to roof one by one one more time, aaand, it worked :))) it appeared that the problem was in the wall height, the outer component was not extending outside of the given general height, even when the wall itself was already extended to the roof automatically. Looks like it is better to make the wall higher and let the roof cut it, instead of trying to extend it. The result is more accurate. 

• Like 1