Shape Colours not visible in viewport.

InchSw3

Question

Hello, 

I have created an intricate flooring design using a combination of 2D shapes and 'filling' these with colour. 

When I set a viewport, the 2D shapes lose their colour, whilst 3D objects have retained their colour. I have checked the document preferences and 'black and white only' is unchecked. What am I doing wrong?

See images of Design Layer vs Sheet Layer (View Port).

Please help! Relatively fresh to VW and I would ideally like to take this viewport, export it, and then trace overlay in Procreate to render it. 

Thanks.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 23.57.44.png

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 23.57.26.png

1 answer to this question

@InchSw3 Welcome to the forum!

Trouble shooting is easier if you add a signature to your post showing vwx version and some basics about your hardware: Click your name at upper right of the Forum window, choose Account Settings>Signature.

Several things to consider about 2d color areas in Viewports:

1. Your VP screenshot shows a red border which means needs to update. Select the VP>Object info Palette (OIP)>Click the Update button.  Button shows red text when VP is out of date. Do an Update after every change to VP parameters to implement the parameter change.
  2. VP OIP has option checkbox to Display Planar Objects, about middle of the VP OIP. Check the box and update the VP. Your 2d colors should appear.
  3. Sheet layer has a default render dpi of 72, which is fast for tests, but too jaggy for presentation.  Edit the Sheet Layer to increase the dpi when the VP shows desired colors and other effects.  300, 600, or even 1200 might be needed, but can cause slow render.
  4. VP Render modes, near bottom of OIP: Test your VP changes in the Shaded mode, it's usually fastest.
  5. In the Design layer, each "Carpet" could be exported as an image, and then image used to create a full scale texture, and the texture applied to a blank 3d shape corresponding to the particular carpet. This would show the colors in 3d views, (incl Top), but not in Top/Plan.
  6. or  Each areas of same color, eg all the brown shapes, within one carpet could be extruded as a single command, to a shallow or zero height. Do this for each color in a carpet, then Group the extrudes for that carpet.  This approach also shows color only in 3d views, but not in Top/Plan.

#2 seems best bet.

#5&6 are lots of work and probably not worth it for this, but something to explore as you learn Vectorworks.

Post back as needed.

Others may have other approaches.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
It tasted like India Ink
  • Love 1