Add "Plug-in Object Style Options" button to OIP where relevant

E|FA

Question

I would like to suggest that a button is added to the OIP to bring up the  "Plug-in Object Style Options" as an addition to the right-click action.

There are no visual interface hints for users to know that they might need to access "Plug-in Object Style Options" to achieve the results they want.  It took me a while to figure this out when updating template file Wall Closures and now I'm seeing the issue in another thread:

15 answers to this question

Assuming I actually understood why they're separate, couldn't the OIP have a button that calls up the "Plug-in Object Style Options" window?  They'd still be separate, it's just a shortcut to get to the separate settings. In addition to being a bit quicker and consolidationg settings,  there's at least a chance that someone who doesn't know where to look for the settings can stumble upon them.  

Edited by E|FA
29 minutes ago, E|FA said:

Assuming I actually understood why they're separate, couldn't the OIP have a button that calls up the "Plug-in Object Style Options" window?  They'd still be separate, it's just a shortcut to get to the separate settings. In addition to being a bit quicker and consolidationg settings,  there's at least a chance that someone who doesn't know where to look for the settings can stumble upon them.  

I'm with you. Although my preference would be to right-click on the Door/Window object + access the settings from there. The PIO Options are already here already so why not the PIO Style Options as well? The more ways to get to them the better in my opinion

20 minutes ago, michaelk said:

There is a cool trick you can do with worksheets to edit styles.

For example if you have a door and the width is controlled by style.  The door schedule call for that data is =Door.Width in the database header.

If you change it to =Style.Width you will be able to edit the style settings in the worksheet.  And the word Style will be in blue while the word Width will be in red.

There is a weird bug (that I think is still there).  Style dimensions will display in millimeter values, but you can enter document (ft/inch in the US) measurements in the database cell and it works fine.  It's a much faster way to edit styled doors and windows.  I usually have a separate worksheet just for editing styled plug-ins than the one that is the on the drawing so I don't have to keep changing door. to style. and back.

How long have you had that under your hat?! That’s amazing. What else apart from Doors + Windows does it work on?

On 2/14/2024 at 9:15 PM, michaelk said:

There is a cool trick you can do with worksheets to edit styles.

For example if you have a door and the width is controlled by style.  The door schedule call for that data is =Door.Width in the database header.

If you change it to =Style.Width you will be able to edit the style settings in the worksheet.  And the word Style will be in blue while the word Width will be in red.

There is a weird bug (that I think is still there).  Style dimensions will display in millimeter values, but you can enter document (ft/inch in the US) measurements in the database cell and it works fine.  It's a much faster way to edit styled doors and windows.  I usually have a separate worksheet just for editing styled plug-ins than the one that is the on the drawing so I don't have to keep changing door. to style. and back.

Hi @michaelk I have set up a mammoth worksheet to check/edit my Door Styles + there is one parameter that =Style. is not working on:

Screenshot2024-02-18at09_44_37.png.9d24d071dbd7106f53ac64f1bad46cec.png

Using ='Door'.'HingePref' the database returns a 0 for 'Hinge' + a 1 for 'Handle' but if I change it to =Style.'HingePref' it returns zeros across the board + I can't edit the value. Any idea why this particular parameter isn't working when all of the others are? Thanks.

@E|FA apologies this is completely irrelevant to your original post.

Edited by Tom W.

@Tom W. I think you found a bug.  I wonder if it's related to the display in mm, but accept document units bug.  I'll add your discovery to the bug report.

Does the mm vs document units even show up for you?   I assume you are working in mm anyway.

So HingePref of 0 means point towards hinge.  HingePref of 1 means point towards handle.

You are correct that it Style.HingePref always displays 0.  But if you change Style.HingePref to 1 it WILL change to pointing towards the handle.  But still display 0!  Entering 0 in for Style.HingePref has no effect!

Weird.

@E|FA attached is a simple example that is, I'm sure, much less complicated that the giant worksheet that @Tom W. has made 🙂.

There is one door worksheet and one window worksheet for display.  Then there is another 2 worksheets just to edit styles.

You will notice that the style worksheet displays all dimensions in mm.  But you can enter a value in feet and inches and it works just fine.  (I believe you're in the US (?)).

In the "regular" worksheet you can't edit the by style parameters of the doors and windows.  Some parameters - like the ID number - can be edited.  In the fancy Style worksheet you can edit the parameters that are by style and it gives you a warning that your are about to do something big.  Agree to it and then you will have to update all worksheets or update the "regular worksheet" to see the changes.

Style Worksheet Example.vwx

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, michaelk said:

I wonder if it's related to the display in mm, but accept document units bug.  I'll add your discovery to the bug report.

Does the mm vs document units even show up for you?   I assume you are working in mm anyway.

I'm not sure what this bug is! But yes I'm working in mm anyway. And thanks for adding the info to the bug report.

56 minutes ago, michaelk said:

if you change Style.HingePref to 1 it WILL change to pointing towards the handle.  But still display 0!  Entering 0 in for Style.HingePref has no effect!

Ha I didn't notice this! Given the choice I think I will leave the formula as ='Door'.'HingePref' for now as at least then the worksheet info is accurate, I just won't be able to edit it there.

13 minutes ago, michaelk said:

I find that I never need to edit the hinge direction.  Do you have projects where you need it to be handle sometimes and hinge other times?

No it's just to check that I have it set up correctly in all my styles. Your tip + this worksheet is a convenient way to look at all the styles in one go + make sure everything's consistent. Hence it's ok this parameter being read only.

I do periodically forget which regional hinge marker direction convention I'm adhering to 🙂