Creating Wall Projections

Hi

I have watched the video regarding creating wall projections and wall recesses. Very good an informative......... although maybe missing some more information.

So. all good I thought.

Attached is a model I am currently working on and it has a brick feature that wraps around the entire house. I modelled the feature, (a simple brick banding). In the attached model, this is still an extrusion ready for creating the wall projection feature.

I then selected all the walls to which it applies, and the feature band, and applied the Wall Projection from the AEC Menu. Well. it does not seem to like wrapping around multiple walls/ corners.

I tried the following;

1. Placed a feature band on only one of the walls running the full width of the wall. When I used the AEC/Create Wall projection, it messed it up, moving the start to the centre of the perpendicular wall and over shooting the other end. No changing any of the option for the feature band made any difference. In fact in the list of where to place the feature band, which gave me a few options, the only one it would accept is 'Centre of the Wall', the default one. The Plan view looked even worse as it looked like there was another complete wall sticking out of one end.
  2. I then created a single wall on its own, and created another feature band running the full width of the wall. This worked better, although it did move the feature band very slightly, which could be seen when zoomed in on the Plan view.

The theory is that I can not apply feature bands the full width of a wall when the wall is joined to other walls with corners. And, it also does not really like applying wall features the full width of a wall.

It seems my only option is to leave it as an extrude, add it to the relevant class and call it a day.

To conclude, maybe the video which was posted should be expanded to show how to add wall features around corners. Would also be good to explain the options in the OIP once the feature is created.

Would be greatly appreciated if anyone could look at the attached a confirm that my conclusion is correct. Just don't fancy wasting my time trying to make something work if it does in fact not work. I can then at least carry on with the rest of the model.

Kind regards

Mike

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/bbjxufhq1dyezltz58mt3/C02-2024-01-257-Penrith-Road-Planning.vwx?rlkey=co21xf6zqhxvlnyta0alu6ag2&dl=0

7 hours ago, Michael Siggers said:

The theory is that I can not apply feature bands the full width of a wall when the wall is joined to other walls with corners. And, it also does not really like applying wall features the full width of a wall.

This is correct unfortunately. Wall Features are fine in the main body of Walls but don't work at edges/corners. They are perfectly ok for what they do but ultimately fairly limited. I hardly ever use them.

For continuous wrap-around Wall features I use 'Wall Hole cutter symbols'. This is a great process which uses the wall hole component inside symbols which are set to insert in Walls to subtract geometry from Walls without actually inserting any visible geometry. It is more of a trick/workaround than an officially recognised technique but I probably use it in every other file.

Have a look at the attached file. I have inserted the 'Wall Hole Cutter' symbol in each of the three first floor walls which I have made 25mm thicker. So rather than adding the string course to the wall + am subtracting the wall above + below it.

The disadvantage is that in Top/Plan you see the full thickness of the wall with nothing to indicate the presence of the string course.

I suppose you could just as well create the feature as a 3D Solid but doing it with a cutter symbol means you can move/resize the Walls + the symbols move with them. Plus you can insert Doors/Windows/etc through them. Plus  the symbols are resources which can be saved in your Favorites + used across multiple files.

Screenshot2024-02-13at06_35_24.thumb.png.c31fd7ffe0e8a6b4d9dad042b00929ed.png

C02-2024-01 - 257 Penrith Road - Planning_TW.vwx

Thank you @Tom W.

It would be helpful if the points you have made were mentioned in the videos which Vectorworks post.

Really appreciate you looking at the model and explaining your solution. Will definitely be incorporating that in the future. For this one, I think I will use 3D solids as there are some more wall 'add-ons'. As this is the existing property and the proposed works will not change this, I think in this case using solids should be ok. I will need to perform an 'Extract Surface' above this as the top portion is rendered. Again, this will not be changing for the proposed.

Kind regards

Mike

With Slab objects you can draw a 3D solid where you want it then run 'Add 3D Object to Slab...' et voila. The opposite can be achieved with the 'Subtract 3D Object from Slab' command. Very simple. Very intuitive. Be great if Walls had the same functionality.

• Like 2

Is this possibly something that would work for you?

This is not using an extrude, but rather it's using a component to make the brick band.

It's not perfect. The band intersects with the trim (brick mold) around the window. But because the trim is thicker than the band, you don’t see the intersection.

I couldn't figure out how to offset the band ONLY so that it would not intersect. Maybe somebody else knows how to do that.

I could have offset the brick veneer and the band together, but I didn’t want to do that because I figure the trim or brick mold needs to seat on top of the brick veneer. So I wanted to show the veneer as going behind the brick mold.

The file can be a little buggy and may require a restart of VW if the texture for the band cannot be scaled or the H or V for it adjusted to your liking.

Brick Band.vwx

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Steve S. said:

Is this possibly something that would work for you?

This is not using an extrude, but rather it's using a component to make the brick band.

It's not perfect. The band intersects with the trim (brick mold) around the window. But because the trim is thicker than the band, you don’t see the intersection.

I couldn't figure out how to offset the band ONLY so that it would not intersect. Maybe somebody else knows how to do that.

I could have offset the brick veneer and the band together, but I didn’t want to do that because I figure the trim or brick mold needs to seat on top of the brick veneer. So I wanted to show the veneer as going behind the brick mold.

The file can be a little buggy and may require a restart of VW if the texture for the band cannot be scaled or the H or V for it adjusted to your liking.

Brick Band.vwx 5.64 MB · 1 download

Good thinking @Steve S.! Yes that would definitely be a good option in Michael's case where the protrusion is flat top + bottom.

Mine are generally shaped which means it needs doing with a wall hole cutter symbol:

Screenshot2024-02-14at06_17_29.thumb.png.271686f5fc9e0a2fa2afaa34f572b8a6.png

Screenshot2024-02-14at06_29_37.thumb.png.fe7d889f316273d2c828c5252939a9bc.png

However, you've made me realise that by adding an extra component I can indicate the change in thickness in Top/Plan which is what was missing for me e.g.:

Screenshot2024-02-14at06_16_59.thumb.png.9f58b70eb3d2b3f275c0ecfad9d9592e.png

• Like 1

A little more along these general lines —

As was done in my post above, where ALL parts of the wall were made of COMPONENTS only, I wish I could do the same to achieve what is shown in the picture below.

Unfortunately on the below, I had to make 2 parts from extrudes. One being the white sill between the stone and siding. The other being the siding itself.

By the way, on the below, it is manufactured stone over mortar bed over OSB. No airspace

The middle is sill over OSB

The top is shingle over OSB

I left out any weather resistant barrier for this example as I did in my upper post

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 3.18.25 PM.png

Edited by Steve S.
  • Like 1
On 2/14/2024 at 6:36 AM, Tom W. said:

Good thinking @Steve S.! Yes that would definitely be a good option in Michael's case where the protrusion is flat top + bottom.

Mine are generally shaped which means it needs doing with a wall hole cutter symbol:

Screenshot2024-02-14at06_17_29.thumb.png.271686f5fc9e0a2fa2afaa34f572b8a6.png

Screenshot2024-02-14at06_29_37.thumb.png.fe7d889f316273d2c828c5252939a9bc.png

However, you've made me realise that by adding an extra component I can indicate the change in thickness in Top/Plan which is what was missing for me e.g.:

Screenshot2024-02-14at06_16_59.thumb.png.9f58b70eb3d2b3f275c0ecfad9d9592e.png

This looks very interesting and will definitely look into this and the one @Tom W. is showing, as I have this situation quite a bit.

Mike