2D shapes keep disappearing right after drawing

MGuilfoile

Question

First, let me say, I've been using Vectorworks (aka "MiniCAD) for almost 30 years. I consider myself an experienced user who has mastered the software. That said, I find myself befuddled by this constant, annoying trait that I think is due to some of VW's changes over the years. I am certain that it is a wonderful advancement, I, however, am simply annoyed.

It is this: I go to design layer and select an elevation (front or side) and draw a rectangle. It disappears. I draw it again. it disappears. I think it has something to do with the tangled screen/layer only both screen and layer sometimes....etc. This is really not helpful to my workflow. I always draw things on the screen. Removing two of the three dimensions is the only way to draw truly accurate models. Once drawn, I love being able to snap and move things around (sort of) in three-d space. When building stuff, however, I cannot abide my 2D shapes continually disappearing right after my drawing them. Sometimes they reappear after I have given them up for lost. Often I do a cut and "paste in place," only to find the object has been randomly tossed far, far away. Is there a way to set up VW so that the screen is, essentially, a piece of glass paper. And it stays that way until I am finished with my model? And I can work in 3D. I'm really tired of having my 2D objects ignored by the software.

Thanks!

MH Brown

3 answers to this question

The one thing that is likely happening to you is that you have the Clip Cube engaged and your working plane is outside of the Clip Cube.  If you go into a straight orthographic view and don't specify a new working plane or have Automatic Working Plane engaged, VW will place the working plane on X/Y 0, which is outside of the Clip Cube.

• Like 1

Hello @MGuilfoile,

Like you, I enjoy using the Screen Plane while drawing in 3D. If your problem in not related to the Clip Cube, how do you have your Document Preferences set for Legacy 2D drawing? I use the following settings and enjoy the older style of drawing that used to exist. I don't use Clip Cube, so I cannot comment on its interaction. Please write back and share your findings when you can.

image.png.b8427918e3a7fa92d991a063bed977a1.png

Raymond