Editing Objects in Vectorworks Spotlight

Ricky Holdman

Question

I am having an issue in Spotlight where i import multiples of the same object, in this example a table with 8 chairs for a banquet diagram. When I go to edit the item individually and remove 2 chairs from around the table, it removes them from all of the same objects inserted into the diagram. This might be any easy fix but I would appreciate any feedback on this.2024-02-0214_00_19-Greenshot.thumb.png.c42aa11f5ae3f86042230376a08a299f.png

4 answers to this question

One of the options for a symbol is to Insert as Group. That breaks the link between the symbol definition and the instance.  But it also make for large files and longer render times as every instance has to be calculated separately.

If you always want your symbols to insert as groups, you will need to find the symbol in the Resource Manager and Edit Symbol Options and make sure the Convert to Group is checked.

image.png.15bea3983b082554bd9f4eeb39202e14.png

Or if you like the groups, but occasionally need to change one, you can select that object and us the Modify Menu:Convert:Convert to Group. This will effective do the same as the Symbol Options version, but only for that one instance.

• Like 1