Create new Data Tag Style?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
15 hours ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

What is the method to create a new data tag style without selecting an object? I can create a data tag style by selecting a ram object, aiming the data tag style, then modify the style to meet my needs. That seems like an odd way to do it. I'm wondering if there is another way.

Hello @Bruce Kieffer,

You need to have an object selected because create data tag style dialog is filled with information from that object. If you have no object selected you would end up with an empty dialog with no data in it -> an empty data tag style would be created. Not really sure if this would be useful.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

7 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello @Bruce Kieffer,

You need to have an object selected because create data tag style dialog is filled with information from that object. If you have no object selected you would end up with an empty dialog with no data in it -> an empty data tag style would be created. Not really sure if this would be useful.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Thanks @Nikolay Zhelyazkov I understand that is how the Create Data Tag command works, but I am making Data Tags to name Sheet Layers and file names. Those are not objects. Like this where the file name data tag is at the top left, the sheet name is bottom center. I created those tags by modifying an existing data tag (style).

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 8.42.57 AM.png

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

Thanks @Nikolay Zhelyazkov I understand that is how the Create Data Tag command works, but I am making Data Tags to name Sheet Layers and file names. Those are not objects. Like this where the file name data tag is at the top left, the sheet name is bottom center. I created those tags by modifying an existing data tag (style).

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 8.42.57 AM.png

- So what you do is this:

1) Duplicate a data tag style

2) Enter it's layout and select the text in there

3) Modify the texts formula with the Define Tag Field dialog

What you can also do is this:

1) Create new unstyled data tag

2) Enter its layout and create a text in there

3) Modify the texts formula with the Define Tag Field dialog

4) Create a new style from this data tag

What you request for is this:

1) Run the menu command

2) Select the formulas/fields there

3) The data tag style is created

Okay I can see that what you wish for would give you a faster way to create data tag styles, but it would involve some changes to the menu command to show functions in it too. I will add a wishlist item in our database so that we can consider this.

Thanks for the feedback! 🙂

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

What you can also do is this:

1) Create new unstyled data tag

But you can only do this in a file where you haven't used a Data Tag already right?

The 'blank' Data Tags in the VW libraries are also a good starting point for new tags if you don't have one of your own to base it on:

Screenshot2024-02-01at08_34_38.thumb.png.11b6ea5127dafdd2e44999ee06a43350.png

18 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

What you request for is this:

1) Run the menu command

2) Select the formulas/fields there

3) The data tag style is created

Okay I can see that what you wish for would give you a faster way to create data tag styles, but it would involve some changes to the menu command to show functions in it too. I will add a wishlist item in our database so that we can consider this.

Would it be possible to include Data Tags in the 'New Resource' menu?:

Screenshot2024-02-01at08_35_24.thumb.png.98c94d7786a51603dd2846f43dd84483.png

I've never really understood why some resources can be created this way + some can't e.g. Walls, Slabs + Roofs can but Hardscapes + Landscape Areas can't.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tom W. said:

But you can only do this in a file where you haven't used a Data Tag already right?

- You can always create unstyled data tags. If you have already used the tool with styles, just open preferences and click on the Unstyle button to go back to unstyled creation.

2 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Would it be possible to include Data Tags in the 'New Resource' menu?:

Screenshot2024-02-01at08_35_24.thumb.png.98c94d7786a51603dd2846f43dd84483.png

I've never really understood why some resources can be created this way + some can't e.g. Walls, Slabs + Roofs can but Hardscapes + Landscape Areas can't.

- I am not really familiar with this, but I will include it in the wishlist item. What would be your expected behavior here? To see the Create Data Tag Style menu or the Edit Data Tag Style dialog?

12 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- You can always create unstyled data tags. If you have already used the tool with styles, just open preferences and click on the Unstyle button to go back to unstyled creation.

Ah yes thank you. Although it doesn't completely wipe the styled tag clean e.g. it retains the Leader/Shoulder Class + various settings remain enabled. Nevertheless this is good to know + other tools such as Doors + Windows would benefit from this functionality.

16 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- I am not really familiar with this, but I will include it in the wishlist item. What would be your expected behavior here? To see the Create Data Tag Style menu or the Edit Data Tag Style dialog?

I think the Data Tag Style dialog. All the settings would be disabled + there'd be no text in the Tag Layout so it would be a really quick + easy way to start a new tag from a completely blank slate, which I think is what @Bruce Kieffer was after.

If this happened then perhaps the Tools > Create Data Tag Style... command should be renamed 'Create Data Tag from Object'...?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I think the Data Tag Style dialog. All the settings would be disabled + there'd be no text in the Tag Layout so it would be a really quick + easy way to start a new tag from a completely blank slate, which I think is what @Bruce Kieffer was after.

Yep, exactly. And I agree that constancy with tools would make working with Vectorworks easier.