Inventory list for venue

Hi - New to Vectorworks.

For a theater venue, I have imported a ground plan and put in the pipe grid and FOH battens and have saved as a template.

Now want to build a fixture and device inventory specific to this theater venue.

My hope is that as I plot fixtures, there is a running count of how many I am using so I know when I'm about to run out and may need to make other choices.

I've been poking at this for 2 days and not having any luck. I generated a Symbol Key but it just shows how many fixtures are plotted, not how many are available.

Put another way - I need an inventory of fixture and devices (barn door, iris, rotators, etc...). I don't need a shop pull list.

Running 2024 Update 3.1 (Build 739493), Design Suite and Renderworks.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

VW Symbol Key.jpg

SP Snip Inventory Block.jpg

SP Snip Inventory Editor.jpg

What I learned from @Scott C. Parker is that there is a bug on EQUIPMENT SUMMARY about  COMPARE TO INVENTORY, basically it is not working, it suppose to compare to inventory list. 

I'm with you as well, the inventory list is stored locally, which makes it way hard to share files with team. I haven't found a good work around yet.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Equipment list and Inventory dialog will keep a count of your units and compare them to the inventories you build. The summary key you're showing has a bug that keeps it from showing inventory quantities when you use the symbol version of the lighting device. if you change that to the Plug-in version of the symbol, you'll have better luck, but we have a second bug we're working on dealing with.
We have two videos showing the new inventory and equipment list functions.
https://university.vectorworks.net/course/index.php?mycourses=0&tagfilter[category]=content+category-5-entertainment&tagfilter[type]=0&tagfilter[difficulty]=0&search=inventory&langfilter[]=0

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Just now, Jiajing said:

I'm with you as well, the inventory list is stored locally, which makes it way hard to share files with team. I haven't found a good work around yet.

If you have workgroups set up, the inventory XML files are stored in the workgroup inventory folder rather than the local user folder flavor. Therefore, you should be able to share with your team.
Always keep a back up of the original VWX file used to create the inventory. Anyone using the shared inventory file can make updates, right or wrong. 🙂

17 hours ago, Scott C. Parker said:

The summary key you're showing has a bug that keeps it from showing inventory quantities when you use the symbol version of the lighting device. if you change that to the Plug-in version of the symbol, you'll have better luck, but we have a second bug we're working on dealing with.

scott, when you say "plug-in version of the symbol," are you referring to a lighting device that's the result of insertion using the spotlight lighting device tool, rather than the hybrid symbol created with the symbol insertion tool? and, if not, what is the "plug-in version of the symbol"?