Venue Drawing Standards (from a rigger's perspective)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

A couple of things that may help in regards to the points that @Wood raises

• Use a shuttle file to test and configure the DWG import before adding the DWG into a design file.
    This is the process of importing the DWG into an empty file, were you can check how its coming into Spotlight and then make any necessary changes to the import settings, the origin point, delete un-needed resources in the resource manager or in extreme case explode (breaking all the blocks into basic geometry) the DWG to help maintain performance in Spotlight.
  • As mentioned above reference the venue geometry, a shuttle file provides an ideal source for this.
  • Learn and take advantage of the advanced DWG import settings, in recent years several really powerful options like class and layer mapping, adding prefixs to DWG related classes and being able to control what layers of the DWG are going to be imported have been added.
  • Like 3

@jcogdelldo you folks have a guide for this that can get us a bit more detail on best practices for importing DWG? I haven't had time to search the University but is there a PDF or coffee break that covers this? Mastering Venue import is a hole in my skill set, and I'd love to learn 'the right way' to keep performance up, and ultimately have useful Classes after dealing with the apparent nonsense of most DWG organization methods. 

Do exploded blocks (which import as groups if I'm not mistaken) perform better as just straight geometry if we can't dedicated the time to convert them to symbols?

@Wood
I know there's not anything from the Ent side but there may well be something by the architect team on the university.
I'll add it to the ent teams list of potential webinar and coffe break subjects
Otherwise there have been a number of fairly detailed discussions here on the forums about the best practices for DWG importing.

17 hours ago, Wood said:

guide for this that can get us a bit more detail on best practices for importing DWG

USITT had an article several years ago covering this. Here's a link to a text version that could be helpful. Unfortunately, it's missing the screenshots. https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Vectorworks+to+AutoCAD+and+back.-a0472370414
I'm looking for the actual article, but spring cleaning from the past may have spelled its demise. 

• Like 3