Data Tag Flip Text Option?

I hope I am wrong, but there does not appear to be a way to get the text to flip inside a symbol.

Best work around I can think of is to remove the text from the symbol. Put the identifier in a Record.Field and the use a Data Tag to tag the objects.

Or take the ID out of the door symbol. And then make two new symbols using the Door Symbol and the text.  So you would end up with a Door symbol, and then a Door-Left and a Door-right symbol.  Edit the original Door symbol and both change.

Who else has a better idea?

1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

Best work around I can think of is to remove the text from the symbol. Put the identifier in a Record.Field and the use a Data Tag to tag the objects.

@Pat Stanford Can you give me more info how this is done? 

I had a thought of another workaround. Apply the Data Tag to both sides of the object in the symbol, then create two classes, one for Data Tags, one for Flipped Data Tags. I have not tried this yet.

I don't think the classes thing will work if you need to show them both at the same time.  You would need to have four classes.  Right-Correct Text, Right-Flipped Text, Left-Correct Text, Left-Flipped text.  And then I can then of cases where even that would not be enough. Like if you have doors on the front and back of cabinets.

I will try to give you more about data tags tomorrow.  

You know how to make a record and attach it don't you? If so, tell me the record and field name so I can use them in the data tag

8 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

I don't think the classes thing will work if you need to show them both at the same time.  You would need to have four classes.  Right-Correct Text, Right-Flipped Text, Left-Correct Text, Left-Flipped text.  And then I can then of cases where even that would not be enough. Like if you have doors on the front and back of cabinets.

I will try to give you more about data tags tomorrow.  

You know how to make a record and attach it don't you? If so, tell me the record and field name so I can use them in the data tag

Good point about my classes idea.

I do know how to make and attach records. I would use Tag Text as the record name, and Flipped as the field name.

Here you go Bruce.  The attached file has a Data Tag Style that will work with any object that has a Record named Tag Data and a Field Named Flipped.  It will display whatever is in the Field.

You can edit the style and get rid of the label text. I just thought it would be easier for you to see what it is doing with the label.

Notice that the text in the Symbol is reversed when the symbol is mirrored while the Data Tags read correctly.

HTH

image.png.eb1301c5c4aa7d32d86aa722b550e8e2.png

Bruce Data Tags.vwx

• Like 2

What do you mean?  The text that is in the Symbol flips because it is part of the mirrored symbol, same as we started with.

The text in the Data Tag does not flip because it is not part of the symbol, but is rather placed and associated with the symbols separately. It does not care which direction the symbols face, just that it has the required record/field.

If you want the tags to be inside the symbol you are going to have to make 2 versions of the door symbol a Left and a Right to get the tags to read correctly. Flipping or mirroring the symbols will result in text that reads backwards. With no way I know of to correct that.

Attaching the record and then using Data Tags allows you to get the information from the object and only put the tags where you want them instead of loading up with lots of classes so you can hide unwanted tags.

Good Luck.

• Like 1