Need to be able to change dimension units in the OIP

MGuilfoile

Question

This is something I've been asking for for years, probably when I moved from Claris CAD to MiniCAD in 1995 or '96. I don't see it listed anymore, so I suppose I'll try again:

Make it possible to change the units for dimensions in the OIP.

It is basic to creating succinct drawings that the dimension units make sense for the object. I have to dimension objects that may be as big as house and, in the same drawing package, as small as an electrical outlet or a lamp fixture. Right now, it is impossible to measure one in feet and inches (or meters) and the other in just inches (or centimeters/millimeters). Do I say the house is 787 1/2" long or the lamp 0'-4 1/4" wide? It is absurd to think that that a single dimension style can work globally for multi-sheet VW files. Please don't tell me about dual dimensions and just selecting "secondary" or "primary." That is a workaround, is clumsy, and only allows two dimension types. What if I want to use decimal inches in a particular drawing? What if I want to show dimensions in Metric on one drawing? One in meters and one in millimeters? My reference to the old Claris CAD--which I'm sure only a fraction of you remember--allowed selection of units in their version of the OIP. It was very handy then and I feel indispensable now.

As always, if this capability is available and I've just been too thick-headed to find it, please allow me gladly to play the fool and accept your instructions as to where to find it.

Thanks,

MHBrown

• Like 2

1 answer to this question