Syncing Multiple Device Instances and their connections - Best Practices?

mwalker_mw

What is the intended practice for representing multiple instances of the same device?

For example: if I have an overall system topology drawn out but then I'd like to do a sheet that just summarizes patch bays and field plates with nice straight lines for ease of reading.  Same devices but two different schematic layouts for two purposes on two different sheets.

My expectation was that I could just copy/paste the devices keeping the names the same > select them > connect selected and the software would draw in a duplicate of the wire connection I'd already drawn on the originals with identical labelling, etc.  That is, the software would assume that devices with duplicate names were the same devices and their connections should thus be synced between.

But that didn't work.  It did nothing.

I then tried manually putting the connection back in and it treats it as a separate unique circuit.  Despite connecting the same sockets none of the data syncs.

There does seem to be a connection between device instances for labelling purposes.  If I change the rack field for one instance it also updates the other.  But the circuit/wire doesn't seem to behave the same way.

What am I missing here?  How should I be handling this? 

Similarly, changing the socket connector type on one device instance does not sync to the other even though things like the rack field do. 

Is there a summary anywhere of what does and doesn't sync? 

(the manual and google are failing me here...)

Edited by mwalker_mw
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @mwalker_mw,

What syncs automatically is the location data -> if you change the physical location of an equipment item all the devices with the same device name will get this location update. We do not sync sockets and circuits, as the expected workflow would be to not have duplicate sockets and circuits which cause errors in reporting. If you want to have different schematics for the different signals you can do this but you have to do the connections manually and it is recommended to not create duplicate sockets and circuits, which can be achieved by leaving only the relevant sockets in the different layers.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@mwalker_mw In ConnectCAD the drawing IS the database. If a circuit on the drawing joins two sockets it IS the connection. What you see on the drawing is what will be reported in the list. As Nikolay says you can have multiple instances of devices that have different sockets, but not multiple instances of the same socket within a device. We don't prevent you doing this but it could lead to the situation where an installer has multiple wires that are supposed to go into thee same socket. So, the Check Drawing command flags this as an error.

From what you say, I understand that you are looking for a view of your schematic that shows what's connected to a given patch bay or field plate (aka connector panel). Is that correct?

They are 2 ways to do that at the moment:

1. Device Connections Report - this creates a worksheet listing the circuits connected to each socket on the drawing. You can adjust the criteria to display only your panels if you wish. [ menu ConnectCAD>Documentation>Device Connections Report]

2. Create Panel View - this creates a view of your panels which can include the "where they are connected" info. The command creates a Panel Layout object containing all the panel connectors and can easily display the connected device and socket. There is nothing to stop you from adding lines joining the connected device and socket text to the connector graphic.

Hope that helps.

Conrad

Thanks - that's a bit disappointing as I do like to create multiple views of the same topologies for clarity.

I can still do it manually, but was hoping to automate somewhat.

Wishlist would be to be able to create 'instances' of schematic devices that fully mirror and track their originals (including socket connections) but can be placed in separate arrangements with separate visual routing of the circuit path.  That is, the instances are not editable beyond location and the path of the circuits in between but can be located separately, isolated from an otherwise complex drawing, and annotated as needed with all their other properties staying in sync with the originals.

(Just saw Conrad's reply - yes, they can be shown as reports.  But for visual people I find the line drawings are appreciated - even if it is the same data.  I'll play around with the panel view suggestion - might cover some scenarios.  Thanks.)

Edited by mwalker_mw
  • Like 2