How to assign different textures to different sides of a symbol? SOLVED

JonKoch

So I've created some 2D/3D Hybrid symbols to represent monolithic granite steps. I've created a thermal granite finish texture and a rock faced granite texture. Often times we specify different finishes for specific faces of a step. I'm wondering if and how it's possible to render the faces of the symbol different textures. I know there's a way to render "by component" for certain objects like hardscapes but it would be cool if I could figure out how to get these different textures to show on a step, or a monolithic bench for instance. 

Additionally, is anyone aware of a good tutorial on how to use different mapping files for creating textures? Like bump, or displacement? I created an account on architextures.org and am able to export different types of files but I'm not really sure how to incorporate them into my textures in VWX

Thanks!

SOLUTION: Like with anything, all it took was a little bit of detective work. Using the texture tool, you are able to assign different textures to different faces of an object. What a gamechanger!

Edited by JonKoch
Figured out the issue.
  • JonKoch changed the title to How to assign different textures to different sides of a symbol? SOLVED
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That’s great that you figured it out @JonKoch! If you would like to know more about the texture tool check out this page from the online help system.

In terms of getting into creating textures (if we don’t already have the texture you’re hoping for in the Resource Manager) I’d recommend checking out this course at VWU and go to the section called “Creating textures” (though the entire course is worth doing IMO.) Bump and displacement are discussed. It’s presented using an older version of Vectorworks but applying the instructions to the current version should work fine.

In addition, I suggest reviewing this page in the online help system too with particular attention on the “Bump shader parameters” video and the list of options below it. This page explains using an image in a texture shader.

I hope that helps 🙂

14 hours ago, Neil Barman said:

That’s great that you figured it out @JonKoch! If you would like to know more about the texture tool check out this page from the online help system.

In terms of getting into creating textures (if we don’t already have the texture you’re hoping for in the Resource Manager) I’d recommend checking out this course at VWU and go to the section called “Creating textures” (though the entire course is worth doing IMO.) Bump and displacement are discussed. It’s presented using an older version of Vectorworks but applying the instructions to the current version should work fine.

In addition, I suggest reviewing this page in the online help system too with particular attention on the “Bump shader parameters” video and the list of options below it. This page explains using an image in a texture shader.

I hope that helps 🙂

Thank you @Neil Barman! I'll check that stuff out tonight. I did do a little trial and error last night and was able to figure som fun stuff out with bump and displacement. One thing I'm seeing as a possible issue is where a face with a displacement texture meets a face that is just a standard texture, there is sort of a gap that forms depending on the set height of the displacement or bump. I can send an example when I'm finished doing some billable work for the day 😉

Thanks again!