How to connect to a device in a referenced drawing.

I have a main venue file (with all the power and distribution) plus several referenced files for smaller areas. Think main hall of a trade show with showy entrance zone, press conference, large exhibits etc.

Because reasons, the project has to be done this way.

The smaller areas have lights, truss, stage boxes and cables from stage boxes to lights.

My question is, is it possible to directly connect a cable between a distro in THIS drawing to a distro/light/whatever in a referenced drawing?

If not, what's the most efficient workflow to do so?

Thank you.

• kevin.hayward changed the title to How to connect to a device in a referenced drawing.
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thats good that you have a workaround.

If it is a project sharing file I would recommend not X-refing files into that. If other prople need to add and take away stuff then they should have access to the VWXP file to create their own vwxw file.

In terms of referencing a vwxp file into a vwx file, I have never done this (did not know it was possible) and would be concerned that with multiple users updating the file that it would always be out of date.