How to partly hide connectors on circuit

Jrw

Hi,

I have connectors having two connections, but it should have connectors on one connection but no connectors on the other connection. Is it possible to hide connectors on the other circuit? 

For example, the left side circuit has "XLR3M" connectors which are correct but the right side circuit should not have connectors - they are soldering to the connectors' back. How do I hide them? Currently once I select the connector types on the socket they are showing 'XLR3M' on both end. 

image.thumb.png.2105607aec3bddd9318dbf8f4966c600.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Actually this is a case of term panels on schematics not "knowing" which side (left or right) is the inside of the panel. For many years we've just left this to common sense and that has worked surprisingly well. But you are right, and it's on my long list of things to make perfect 🙂

Conrad

13 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello @Jrw,

I think that if you set the connectors to the right hand sockets to '---' you should get the job done.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov,

No it will only remove the connectors on the right hand socket but will still leave the connectors for the left side connection, which are the ones I want to remove. I cannot set the left hand sockets to '---' because I still want the 'IN' side to have the connectors shown. Any ways we can do this?

image.thumb.png.134ed85552baff3839086ea4c24463d1.png

7 hours ago, Conrad Preen said:

Actually this is a case of term panels on schematics not "knowing" which side (left or right) is the inside of the panel. For many years we've just left this to common sense and that has worked surprisingly well. But you are right, and it's on my long list of things to make perfect 🙂

Conrad

Hi @Conrad,

Yes they are the same as sockets on devices but sockets are fine as they will only have one side connection, whereas term panels normally have both side connections which may require different connection methods. It sounds like it cannot be done in current version? Can I hide the connectors on a specific circuit instead? 

@Jrw Right now you cannot. You can turn off all connector text by making the class CC-Circuit-Connector invisible.

Thanks for the explanation about term panels 😉 . As I said, I knowingly took a short cut that has worked fairly well for 20 years + but it is on my list.

C

18 hours ago, Conrad Preen said:

@Jrw Right now you cannot. You can turn off all connector text by making the class CC-Circuit-Connector invisible.

Thanks for the explanation about term panels 😉 . As I said, I knowingly took a short cut that has worked fairly well for 20 years + but it is on my list.

C

No problem, understand. Thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully this will be a feature in the future. 

Below is only my opinion...hope it helps in some sense:

Another way could be change the 'connectors on cables' to be the connector itself. Because in reality, people would know the connection method and connectors used to terminate the cables onto specific 'connectors'. So the connector type itself is the most important part. I have not seen a way to put this info in except in 'device name' or 'socket name'...the input field for 'connector on cable' could just be connector itself, much easier for providing infos...

'Connector itself' I guess would mean the chassis connector on the equipment.

On 11/15/2023 at 5:51 AM, Jrw said:

Because in reality, people would know the connection method and connectors used to terminate the cables onto specific 'connectors'.

So, we'd be relying on common sense to make sure that cables aren't terminated with the wrong sex connectors? But we can't rely on common sense to know which side of a term is the soldering/crimping side...

I will take care of term panels so that the correct connector type is displayed. But I don't think it's a good idea to change the connector-on-cable paradigm which has stood us in good stead for the past 20 years.

With all respect and thanks for drawing our attention to the issue.

Conrad