Wishlist: "Non-printing" classes

ArchiRes

Question

The closest Vectorworks gets at the moment is the ability to turn off classes that you don't want to print but that's clunky and inefficient. I'd love the ability to set a class to be non-printing, visible on Vectorworks (like with guide lines) but do not print like so many other programs have.

• Like 2

2 answers to this question

This has been wishlist requested for a very long time.

I posted one wishlist request for it back in 2015 (linked below); it currently has 41 upvotes. In that request I noted that this has been requested since at least 2009; going on 14 years now.

Perhaps someday it will be implemented… but based on comments made by @Matt Panzer in THIS thread, it appears that with the introduction of Viewport Styles in Vw2024 — the thinking may be that this functionality is no longer necessary.

Edited by rDesign
  • Sad 1

It's sad this feature hasn't been added.

There are lots of reasons for having a visible, but non-plotting graphics.

Feature affecting a design you want to see while placing things.

Instructions to staff members you want them to read.

etc...

Having a visible but non-plotting control alleviates the need for turning things off or setting up viewport styles.

This user error prone control of visibility is probably the leading cause of print errors and omissions and has been with many CAD packages for a long time.

• Like 2